speaker install

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by scobar, Feb 25, 2011.

1. scobar

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 6, 2010
    installing a new Alpine stereo in my boat. It has the hook up for four (4) speakers but right now I only want to use two (2) any problems?

2. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    Just make sure your speakers match the Ohmic requirements of the amplifier output.

Can anybody speak to the issue of whether he should put a dummy load on the other two, or will they be OK as is ? I'm assuming no hookup = no draw from the amp.

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Well, Alpine has been making car stereos for many years, and I don't know how many models.

Why not look at the installation manual that came with the stereo?

If you don't have one, look it up online. Since you didn't provide a model number, you're on your own.

4. aegistalons

Feb 12, 2011
    I do believe you are right that you do not need to bother with a dummy load if he is not hooking up the other two speakers.

5. scobar

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Thanks guys,
    I called Alpine and they said no problem with only 2 speakers, and not 4. The installation/user guide does not metion 2 vs 4, it must assume you will be using all 4 speakers

6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Not using all the channels on any audio gear is never a problem.. Like Packrat said just make sure you try to match the ohmic rating and you are good to go.