Speaker Amplifier Problem

EgagDesigns

Joined Aug 10, 2012
Hi,

I'm currently working on a project that consists of taking a line level input from something like an iPod and play it out some speakers. I'm having a problem with the subwoofer and woofer, whenever there are really low notes they must short or something causing the power supply to current limit. I have concluded that it's the woofer/subwoofer because without them connected it works fine.

As for the circuit, I have the line level input coming into 4 sallen-key active filters. For the subwoofer, there is a lowpass filter with a 3db cutoff point @ 200Hz, tweeter has a high pass filter with 3db @ 5KHz, Mid-Range has a band-pass (high pass + low pass in series), and woofer has a band-pass (high pass + low pass in series) with 3dB cutoffs @ 100Hz - 1KHz.

The filters look very good when viewing through an o-scope and scanning through the frequencies. There is no distortion and the 3dB cutoff points are perfect.

From the filters, the signal travels into a TDA7386 chip which is a 4 channel 45 Watt amplifier which then goes out to the 4 respective speakers. I'm not sure if I don't have enough decoupling caps or if I'm doing something wrong with the amplifier chip, but I followed their figure from their datasheet to the t and I'm having the problems.

Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What is the model # of the power supply?
What is the voltage and current rating of the power supply?
What are the power requirements of the amplifier?

EgagDesigns

Joined Aug 10, 2012
It's just a bench power supply for testing, don't know the specific model off hand. Can get a max of 5 amps out of it at the voltage the circuit is running at, 12V. When the speakers don't go crazy it runs nice at .5A at a more than reasonable volume.

No amp power requirements per se, but all speakers are rated at 35W or less.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A loud bass note from a subwoofer may require a peak current more than the limit of your power supply. Is the sound distorted otherwise? You may just need a higher current limit power supply.

EgagDesigns

Joined Aug 10, 2012
I believe so. I have quite a few decoupling caps that I thought would stop any noise. Next to the output amp there is a 2200uF and .1uF decoupling caps.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The output power per channel is 14W at clipping into a 4 ohm speaker with a 12V supply. The average current from the battery is about 2.1A per channel or 3A peak per channel. You need a power supply that can supply 12A.