Spdt timing relay

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jerrymyersmills, May 25, 2011.

1. jerrymyersmills

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Hi
    i want to use two different SPST/SPST timing relays to reverse a motor once every hour by reversing the polarity.The i want know which will be most ideal:SPST/SPDT and how to go about the wiring.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    What kind of motor? What kind of timing relays do you have? How much voltage? How much current? etc.

3. Jaguarjoe

Apr 7, 2010
    If its a DC motor you will need one DPDT relay to reverse polarity to the motor being fed from one timer, not two SPDT relays being fed from 2 timers. The relay contacts must switch in perfect sync and you will never get two separate timers to be that exact.

4. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Depending on the motor it may be wise to also stop the motor before reversing. Reversing a running motor can be very destructive.

Ken

5. jerrymyersmills

Mar 22, 2011
    I have also read that this can be achieved with a DPDT timer but i have looked round but cant find one.
    Jaguarjoe can you specifically mention a brand of 12VDC DPDT that can be used and may the site it can be found?

6. Jaguarjoe

Apr 7, 2010
    How much current does the motor require? It is 12v, right?

What will control the relay coil and how much voltage is it? How much current is available from it?

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  7. jerrymyersmills

Mar 22, 2011
    The coil is going to take in 12VDC and give out 12VDC .The relay is going to be controlles by a timer.

8. Jaguarjoe

Apr 7, 2010
    One more time, how much current does the motor draw? This is required to determine what relay contacts can handle that current. Low current = cheap & easy, high current, not so much.

What is the make & model of the timer? This is required to determine what the relay coil current can be.

9. jerrymyersmills

Mar 22, 2011
    Hi
    the motor uses 6 amps of current.I am also thinking getting an AC DPDT contactor , AC timing relay plus 12VDC to convert the output to 12VDC.
    How about that?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    An easy way would be an automotive relay, if you can find one with 8 connector pins. They like 12 volt supplies and usually are ready to handle 10 to 15 amps. Phone a local auto parts store and ask.

If a local automotive parts store does not have the DPDT, we can look into electronics stores.