SPDT and DPDT switch question

danger

Joined Sep 5, 2010
SPDT and DPDT

I will be using 1 of each of these switches for a DIY project and with so many different options out there I am wondering if someone can help me decide what to purchase.

This is a 9V DC circuit. They will be panel mounted with a soldered connection. Beyond this I am not sure what specs are important. Anything else I need to be aware of? Is there a less expensive reliable manufacturer out there someone can recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
Less expensive than what? "All Electronics" has all kinds of switches cheap. Being a 9v project, voltage is not a concern. Make sure the current rating of the switches exceed the actual current flowing through them.

Well, as previously stated, the only other important rating to know is current. A very conservative current rating for the switch is double what the load uses. Knowing the kind of switch you want to use will help with narrowing down your options. I would go to digikey.com, click on Product Index, go down to the Switches section and click on the type of switch you want to use. From there you can specify SPDT, DPDT, current and voltage ratings.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Most switches are made to switch high voltages and high currents. Their contacts are silver. When the silver corrodes (turns black) then the high voltage or high current makes a spark that breaks through the corrosion.

But when the contacts corrode they will not switch a low voltage or low current because there is no spark.
So I use gold-plated contacts on a switch for low voltage and low current because gold doesn't corrode. The price is the same.
I also use gold-plated IC sockets.