SPDIP PIC prototyping

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Peytonator, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Peytonator

Thread Starter Active Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Hi there,

How do I build a prototype using a slim plastic dual in-line package (SPDIP) PIC on a breadboard? Because isn't the lead spacing different to the breadboard spacing?

2. Barnaby Walters

Mar 2, 2011
    You'd have to make or buy an adaptor board. As you have observed, an SPDIP chip will not fit on a breadboard!

Are you required to use a SPDIP? If you're working with a breadboard, it would be much easier to just get a PDIP version of the chip you're using, or an equivalent. If you don't want to buy another chip, Microchip do a very friendly samples program, that allows you to get a couple of chips for free every month or so.

Thanks,
    Barnaby

3. be80be

Jul 5, 2008
    Microchip makes some 28 pin chips it SPDIP there the same size as there PDIP .430 wide

And they will fit a bread board I sure haven't had any problems with the 18f2550 SPDIP

This shows a 18f2550 SPDIP

4. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    From wikipedia:
    Presumably the Microchip ones are the second case (0.3 inches wide instead of the normal 0.6 inches wide for a high pin count DIP). They still have the 0.1 inch pin spacing.

5. mjhilger

Feb 28, 2011
    Which chip is it you are looking at? Many of Microchip PIC's come in various packages, some are the skinny .3 width that do fit in breadboards. Maybe there is a similar one in a package that will work. I currently have a couple of the PIC24HJ128GP202 's which are in the 28 pin skinny dip .3" wide .1" lead spacing that fits nicely on a breadboard.

6. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    At the risk of stating the obvious, the DATASHEET for the PIC in question has package descriptions in the back, showing all measurements for the package and pin spacing.