Spartan 3E A/D Converter for high voltage

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by caigiday, Jan 26, 2009.

1. caigiday

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Hi, I'm a newbie here who needs lots of help.

A part of my project is to synchronize 2 of 3-phase generators phase to phase with each phase is 120 V. I can't seem to find any peripheral module that can convert from analog signals to digital (and vice versa) that could do the job with 120 V (I found one that can convert up to only 3.3 V). Does anyone know if there is a module that can help me convert that high of signals?

It would also be very grateful I can have any advice on how to complete this project (maybe some kind of algorithm, etc...). I plan to do it with Spartan 3E, VHDL, but if microprocessor (assembly) is easier, I am willing to switch.

Thanks so much in advance.
  2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    You never play with line voltages - it's dangerous and there is no sensible protection. Always use a transformer to reduce the line voltage to an intrinsically safe level and provide isolation.

Depending on your hardware, you should be able to convert voltages up to 10, but not AC. Pass the reduced AC through a rectifier so you are dealing with positive going pulsing DC. Choose a transformer that has an output in the range of the ADC - do remember that the peak voltage out will be 1.404 times the RMS voltage rating.