Spark Plug+Coil+Controller = ARRRRGH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud9

Joined May 11, 2009
I am so sick of FETs and IGBTs. I bet I have spent $300+ in overnight shipping charges over the last week.

I ordered some 1200V 20A FETs and IGBTs and I had the same exact problem.

I did end up ordering some of the IGBT with clamps DEBE suggested. They were tough to find in the proper package but hopefully I will have them tomorrow morning. Wish me luck and send me a beer.

Hi All,

My theory is that for whatever reason, the kickback from the coil is overcoming the diode, and ravaging the FET. But why would it, the diode is rated for up to 250V blocking voltage and 40A.
Any help would more than greatly appreciated.

Chris
The kick back can be up to 500volts so no wonder your MOSFET is being killed !

I designed an ignition module for a motorbike and used 600 volt mosfets.
Never went wrong.

Cloud9

Joined May 11, 2009
I am testing a IRGB14C40LPBF and ISL9V5036P3 now. Interesting the ISL9V5036P3 seems to do ok, but the IRGB14C40LPBF produces no spark whatsoever.

Cloud9

Joined May 11, 2009
Did some more test today with the 'working' IGBT coil driver. No failures but...

My control board locks up after random number of fires. The interesting part is that this ONLY happens when I am shooting spark with gas. Dry firing with gas CANNOT lock the board up, I have tried exhaustively. Any thoughts on this? Does the electrical properties change when there is gas in the spark gap or when an explosion happens?

jgrupczy

Joined Dec 19, 2015
Sorry for not including the schematic of the FET board, it is attached.

What sounds fishy?

This has nothing to do with automotive. I have made a gun fire simulator that uses O2 + LP + SPARK to go boom.
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/hmekx
Would you PLEASE sind me a schematic of the sequencer and drivers for your system. I have been looking everywhere! I am a member of the USS Alabama Living History Crew and we are try to retrofit a few of our 20 mm AA guns for simulated fire and do it ourselves. I am very fimiliar with this type of system that we currently have on our 40 mm guns. Please help.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Please don't reply to a old thread, the members may not want to receive the notice for a old thread, so this thread will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.