Spark Generator

dharvin

Joined Aug 26, 2012
Good Day all

I need help in designing a spark generator. Its to be used in a model radio control car exhaust. The idea is to replicate a backfiring exhaust.

The spark generator circuit has to be small and light. Ive done research and was thinking of using the flash from a disposable camera. However, there are some problems. The charge time is a little longer than i would like. Also, in order to generate sparks, you need to short the circuit.

I need the sparks to arc through a 4mm gap.

Any ideas?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A spark won't make anywhere near the sound you might want. That said, there are some high powered LEDs that can stand rather large pulses on the time scale you would need. Interested?

spankey666

Joined Nov 30, 2011
if its a 2 stroke engine, causing an explosion in the expansion pipe will cause excessive pressure build up pushing exhaust gases back into the barrel making the engine run like a sack of crock, and at worst cause piston over heating and seizure or detonation.

dharvin

Joined Aug 26, 2012
The spark will be used to ignite a small amount of butane which will be pumped into the exhaust. The current method is just a stove lighter with a high torque servo attached to it. The problem is that, this set up is heavy. The servo needs to be strong enough to depress the piezoeletric igniter. I just need a completely electical method of generating a spark.

And the car is electric btw.