Spark gap transmitter, fly back transformer help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Adamf001, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Adamf001

Thread Starter Member

Sep 5, 2011
    In my A level class we are learning about the wave spectrum, so I thought it might be a good idea to build a Spark gap transmitter to demonstrate how waves radio waves are created and transmitted.
    I won't connect this to an Ariel because of the wide rage of frequencies that it transmits and i will have a load of angry neighbours wondering why they can't listen to the radio... :)

I'm going to use a fly back transmitter that I have salvaged from a very old CRT television. correct me if i'm wrong but the high voltage should go to the 'suction cup like wire' and the ground i think is the pin on its own on the transformer (ref to pictures bellow)

I'm not sure what the other pins are for? that seem to be connected to the smaller coil of wire, and where would I connect the 230V AC

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    The transformer is designed to work at 15Khz , it will have a main winding that will need connecting to your oscillator set between 15 to 16 Khz, this will step up the voltage to the eht cap around 25 to 30Kv.

3. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    havnt seen a lopt like that for a good many years now...

4. Adamf001

Thread Starter Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Thanks for the replies, Dodgydave for future reference how did you know the transformer works between 15 - 16kHz. do you know how I would attach the supply to the transformer? on the first pic i think that the wire with the sheilding could be the power in pin? maybe... any ideas?

5. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    uk tv system was PAL which has a line speed of 15.625Khz, this was for the old system which is now defunct as we now use digital freeview.