Space Elevator Test

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
N0v,4,2009 fox news is reporting test of space elevators in the
Mojave desert today,watch for reports. I made a post about
space elevators. (CHECK iT OUT). This Is universities and
government working together. Engineers at work.

wr8y

Joined Sep 16, 2008
I think it makes good research, but the "Space Elevator" is impractical.

I don't see how the problems can be overcome. Think of the static buildup alone! Or the threat to anything in orbit around the earth that is NOT geosynchronous.

Of course, these problems aren't a concern unless carbon nanotubes fullfill the promises their fans make on their behalf.

Interesting research - but my bet is, this (very old) idea will remain nothing but an idea.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You may be right, but if you're not it will be the stairway to heaven. There are some extremely good economic reasons why it would be tried, assuming the background problems are solved.

Whether the problems will ultimately be overcome or not, the attempts may still yield technology or materials that can be very beneficial when put to some entirely different application...

I watched the live stream for a little while and thought it was interesting. A lot of people had to come together to put this event on.

I like to see all of these ideas... I find it interesting that people are considering things like this.

The statement that I liked in the article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launch_loop ) was:

"While the magnetic suspension system would be highly redundant, with failures of small sections having essentially no effect at all; if a major failure did occur the energy in the loop (1.5×1015 joules or 1.5 petajoules) would be approaching the same total energy release as a nuclear bomb explosion (350 kilotons of TNT equivalent), although not emitting nuclear radiation."