Source / ideas for a weather proof box?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
My solar garden light is nearing completion. Now I need to find a weather proof box to put the whole works inside. I figure I will need a box that measures in the neighborhood of 5" Deep X 6"W x 5"H. The box needs to be weather proof and preferably lockable. Low cost is a plus.

Any ideas?

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Try your local electrical supply house. The standard sizes in the range you're looking for should be 6x6x6 and 8x8x8. They're available in pvc and metal, and you're lucky you'll find a lockable one.

tyblu

Joined Nov 29, 2010
These are usually pretty expensive if listed as a 'weatherproof electrical box' or similar. Best to repurpose something else, like the aforementioned Tupperware.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I have a metal box roughly that size (but it's probably not quite 6" deep) that houses the contact for my ditch pump. I installed it over 20 years ago, so I can't remember what I paid for it, but it was probably $15-$20 then (possibly less). It's weatherproof but not waterproof, but it has worked well for my purposes (it's out in the rain and snow all year). The front panel is held on by a thumbscrew, but it would be easy to drill out so it could take a padlock. I'd imagine you could find the same thing at any Lowes or Home Depot today. If you think it might be of interest, I can brave the snow drifts and go out and take a picture of it if you want.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
There are hundreds of NEMA rated boxes for disconnects and meter and outlets, and candy. Most have padlock tabs in the flip down latches, are waterproof unless altered, and have weather resistant ratings for altered.

Some have see-through doors or see through windows.

Getting a windowed version would allow you to shine your LEDS through the box.

Standard liquid-tite conduit and box connectors will finish you off.

A PVC 12x 10 x 6 box no window was $40 3 months ago at Shephard Electrical

Here is a steel version, windowed:
http://www.hammondenclosuresales.com/eclipse_series_single_window_door.htm

Here is a good looking box, clear door, fiberglas box:
http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=OM-AMU&ttID=OM-AMU&Nav=

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
mail boxes do a good job keeping weather out. some foam rubber on the door edge and a latch with a small padlock. Depending on where you place it, otherwise someone may try to fill it with junkmail. :)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
One other thing I've used that is waterproof are the plastic "Ammo Cans". The better ones have an O-Ring around the inside that seals fully when the latch is closed.

The negative aspects are slight ugliness and size.

I've used the GladWare solution for temporary housing of outdoor Wireless Ethernet routers before. If you seal the I/O wire holes, they worked, even through a thunderstorm that happened in the 4 days they were needed.

There aren't many "Low Voltage Waterproof Enclosures", they are typically rated for line, so a hobby circuit in one will either be very professional looking and expensive, or some sort of a DIY item.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You might also get a surplus mil-spec ammo can. These are usually available at army-navy surplus stores. They are watertight. You would have to add an eyebolt so that you could lock it. Cost is usually under $10.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You might also get a surplus mil-spec ammo can. These are usually available at army-navy surplus stores. They are watertight. You would have to add an eyebolt so that you could lock it. Cost is usually under $10.

Yeah that was the way I was going. That or the Tupperware idea. If this whole thing works out then we could always invest in something a little nicer looking.