soundcard ?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Mathematics!, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    And I can measure current/voltage of it using DDM...etc

My question is their some standard or lower bound for the voltages/current max ratings of the ports on a soundcard?
    It would be nice to have these. I have a mic that plugs into the mic port and generate about something like 3mV and some type of current in the mA ,...but it would be nice to have a max ratings for these ports so when I build any circuits to plug into these I will know they aren't going to kill the soundcard by exceeding the max ratings???

For instance if I build a preamplifier circuit for the mic port I need to know the amplified current/voltage is not going to fry the mic port circuitary.
    I know the line in port must be greater max ratings since I can plug in a radio directly to it...etc etc
    I don't think the recorder circuit would be safe in pluging it into the mic port but the line in/out port would be fine and works great?

Also I just found out that I have 3 connectors on the side of my sound card. I looked them up and they are green , black , white connectors ===> TAD line , CD-IN line , Aux-IN line.

Did a little more research found this on the connectors

•Internal input/output connectors: •A CD-ROM/DVD-ROM connector, with a black socket, which is used to connect the sound card into a CD-ROM's analog audio output using a CD Audio cable; •Auxiliary inputs (AUX-In), with white sockets, used for connecting internal audio sources such as a TV tuner card; •Telephone answering device connectors (TAD), which have a green connector.

None of my connectors have wires going to them/ from them but I do see the black , and green connectors on my mobo as well.
    So I am assuming these are where they plug into the mobo.
    I am wondering if I run a wire from the TAD connector to the mobo green connector will it enable me to do some answering machine thing.

I orignal download software that worked with my V.92 modem to be an answering/caller id machine. But now I am wondering what this TAD can do??? With the V.92 and the software I could use it as an answering machine my computer , I could also place phone calls with (using dialer.exe or hyperterminal )it but the problem was when somebody picked up I had noway of speaking back maybe the TAD line can aid in over coming this ?

Thanks for any help.
    Many question is about the max voltage/current rating for the soundcard ports?

Any help in in finding these ratings would be great

2. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Anybody know soundcard voltage/current ratings or what these should be kept under. I know it maybe different for most soundcards but I am looking for a lower or upper bound on the voltage/current so I can know that I am not going to kill my sound card with my circuit.

Thanks

3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    One suspects that individual sound card manufacturers publish specs that include just those limits.

4. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    THE mic in is preamped. use the line in.

The way I used:

starting at zero, slowly increase the voltage on your preamp noting each levels increase. When you smell smoke, use the level previous.....with your next soundcard. ;)