Sound Circuit

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by ItsAciD, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ItsAciD

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Hi all!! Im new here, I wanted to know where do i begin to make a circuit that i can produce say a 5~10 second sound, like a midi noise. I am currently enrolled in a DC Circuit class, and we have to do a project for the FINAL. And i just wanted to start early, and see the things i really need to learn in order to complete this project. I want to get ahead start, to see if it is even possible to do this, and exactly how hard it would be. So here is just an idea of what i want to do.

1.) Make a circuit in which there is 2-5 Buttons.
    2.) Each button is assigned a 5~10 sec song that reproduces on a small speaker.

Thats pretty much the MAIN thing i want, i will probably add LEDS and such, but that i know i can do, but just making the sound produce is what is confusing to me, because I was thinking since each note of a song is a frequency, if i can send that frequency to the speaker it will play the note, but then how would i be able to control the time of one note to another?
    Just looking around for some info, as i got plenty of time to do this. Any help is appreciated, thanks! I really want to do this project as i am a musician and love music!
  2. JDT

Feb 12, 2009
    There are special integrated circuits that can do this but they might be difficult to get. Another way is to use a micro-controller. A fairly fast device with quite a lot of memory is needed. It is not a project for a beginner.

You could start here:

To get some idea of the memory required, consider a mono wave (.wav) sound 10 seconds long.

Samples are 16bit, 41000 samples per second (lower sample rates are possible)

41000 x 10 x 2 = 82000 bytes. Stero would be twice the size.

Another possibility is to get a small embedded computer, do a bit of programming, add some buttons.
    The Raspberry Pi comes to mind!
  3. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    A simple tone generator is close, but not exactly worthy as a final project. If you actually want to play a song, you need the things JDT mentioned. A computer to provide a time base and sequencing.
  4. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
  5. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Playback instruments, or play tones?

PICAXE can play tones with delays.

Otherwise, it sounds like you are making a miniature step sequencer with long steps?