Sound and IR Receiver

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by belboz, Jul 29, 2011.

1. belboz

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Hi,

I'm trying to use winamp to generate a remote control. I'd appreciate some unpaid consulting for my school summer project.

I created sound files that mimic the pattern of IR commands. As in, 15khz of sound blast spaced accordingly by the milisecond.

I was hoping I could bypass IR LEDs and find an IR Decoder that would work with this frequency?

Any thoughts? Or, perhaps a suggested change in direction to avoid IR LED's to make sound work with the IR Decoder?

Thanks.....:cool:

2. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    IR remote control uses frequencies around 38kHz, not 15kHz. The frequency is "built-into" the IR receiver ICs.

3. belboz

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    ...so I was wondering if a custom receiver could be made...

...or if there is an oscillator that can change the frequency of the sound...

I can make it work by putting an LED at the end of the sound, have a LEARNING IR receiver listen for the sound, and then everything functions.

But, I'd like to get rid of the LEDs.

4. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    It's easier to make modifications on the transmitter side than the receiver side.You need to transform the burst that contains the 15kHz into a clean burst. This clean burst then enables a 555 oscillator (reset pin) whose frequency is adjusted to the TSOP receiver frequency you will be using.

The 555 part is easy, the burst transformation is not so obvious, though...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  5. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    Look at the datasheet of a TSOP IR receiver IC. It has hundreds of parts that make it work very well. You probably cannot make one.

You can make an oscillator produce any frequency.
    The LEDs produce Infrared (IR) light that is received and decoded by the IR receiver IC.