Sound Amplifier

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by shubham161, Sep 2, 2012.

1. shubham161

Thread Starter Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Okay, I asked for people to suggest me some working project available on internet but none of them helped. So i myself decided to make sound amplifier on my own. I know that i have to study several datasheets in order to design my own sound amplifier.

I want to make a very powerful sound amplifier. I once made audio amplifier with LM386 but the result was not up to mark. The gain is very less. I want something better. What you would like to suggest me for better gain and better result.

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    You need to be more precise; what do you mean by "very"?

The typical way to specify an amplifier is in terms of watts rms into a defined load, over a frequency range, with a maximum distortion level. For instance, a nice, modern receiver might have 5 or 7 channels capable of 100W into 8Ω over the range of 20-20kHz with less than 0.01% harmonic distortion.

It will also help the experts here improve their advice if you would explain why you want to build something instead of just buying it. There are many commercial choices at fair prices.

3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  4. shubham161

Thread Starter Member

Jul 22, 2012
    ok wait, that amplifier is not for use in home. It is our project assignment in college. I have to present my project and the best one would win price.

5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Well that helps to know. There must be other details (rules?) regarding how much you can spend, how much power you draw upon, and so on. It would help to share those.

Do you actually have to build it, or just design it?

You'll get far more help here if you first make an effort on your own and ask for help. It really doesn't make sense for anyone here to do your homework.

6. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    The teachers over there are asking the students to steal the design from somebody else then solder it together. Nothing is taught and nothing is learned.

One very low power LM386 IC amplifier was tried and "its gain is very less".
    Its output power (not gain) is only 0.4W into an 8 ohm speaker which is almost nothing.
    There are many much more powerful audio amplifier ICs available in the West.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I suggest that you learn enough about amplifiers to be able to say what, "better" means. If you do not know the gain, the power, or anything else about the amplifier, what have you done to deserve to win?

8. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    Do you have facilities (materials, software, experience) to make PCB or you want to build the amplifier on a vero board/strip boards. Would you be using ICs or transistors for designing the power stage of your amplifier?

Would you need a pre-amp for the tone controls and equalizers? Or you want to combine both the Power and Pre amps on one PCB?

The cost of the power supply would very much depend on the output wattage of your power amp. So designing a 25W power amp as compared to designing a 300W power amp would have a lot of difference in the parts investment and skill.

Allen

9. shubham161

Thread Starter Member

Jul 22, 2012
    I have to build it. and there is no spending limits. I can spend as much i want but personally i don't want to spend much on any project to which i have to submit in college.

10. shubham161

Thread Starter Member

Jul 22, 2012
    I can make PCB. and rest of the thing doesn't matter as long as my teacher is impressed by me.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    If this is what impresses teachers in India, we will have no shortage of cab drivers and 7-11 clerks.

absf likes this.
  12. toffee_pie

Oct 31, 2009
    this is really a disgrace.

if you at least threw up a design you have done that showed you had some inkling what you want to achieve but saying you want to plagarise someone for a design into doing a bad ass amp is just ridiculous and your not doing your country much pride.

if you did a 2 x 5watt amp i would be actually shocked as i dont think you have a clue.

13. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    Why don't students in India go to forums in India?

14. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Stop trying to impress your teacher. He/she is not the one who is learning from this. Try to impress yourself first. How much do you want to learn from doing the project?

15. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    shubham161 likes this.
  16. shubham161

Thread Starter Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Why? why i am not allowed here? i am not hurting you and your country. And I represent myself, my origin has nothing to do with it. I think we specify our location to specify our time zone. It in no way mean i am a prototype who represent the entire country. perhaps you dont like my idea or your thoughts don't match with mine and thats okay.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    and yet you still have not defined what a "better" amplifier is.

18. shubham161

Thread Starter Member

Jul 22, 2012
    to me "better" mean which produce more sound when i plug my speaker and play a song. the more the sound the better is the amplifier.

right now i am going through the bertus link. I'll update with a better definition when i finish the article. Maybe after 2-3 days.

19. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    There is a language problem:
    A simple LM386 amplifier IC was tried and "The gain is very less".
    "To me better mean which produce more sound".

I think you want an amplifier that produces more power (for more sound?) into a speaker so that it is louder, not more gain. A high gain amplifier is a very sensitive amplifier that can use a microphone that has a very low level. If there is enough gain then a microphone can drive an amplifier to its maximum output power.

An ordinary amplifier with an MP3 or CD input does not need high gain to play loudly because the output level of an MP3 or CD is about 50 times higher than a microphone.

We don't know if you are allowed to use a simple high power amplifier IC or maybe you must use transistors.
    We don't know how loud you want to play music, we don't know which speakers you will use and we don't know how much output power the amplifier must produce.

We will probably recommend transistors available in The West but maybe are not available in India. Most of us do not know what is not available or what is available in India but people on a forum in India will know.

20. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Ear-splitting 60 cycle hum it is then. Plug a speaker into the wall outlet. Lots of sound. Briefly.

Do you want more than one channel? Do you care about distortion? We're on post #20 and other than learning this is for school, we have little idea about what you want, the specs I asked you for in #2.

Choose a topology and specs (which are not carved in stone, just a goal post), and take a stab at a schematic.