Sos??sos??sos??sos??sos

idham85

Joined Aug 18, 2011
Hello everyone,

I need to make an electronic card for connecting to a printer as the principle of SMS-printer. This card contains SIM card as it receives an SMS message is then transferred to the printer to print it.
Can someone help me? I do not know where I begin and how?
I am at your disposal for any further information.
Thank you in advance

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
It doesn't help you when you use a "mystery" thread title.
It's very annoying and should be in the forum rules...

People are probably not interested in a "Sos" but might have been interested in a thread "How do I make a SMS printer?" and might then offer suggestions.

And sorry, apart from that advice I don't have any other help to offer.

JingleJoe

Joined Jul 23, 2011
It's three dots, three dashes and finally three d- ... oh wait you're not talking about these:

:(

Question; have you tried extensively to find information online yet?

BurninBri

Joined Aug 16, 2011
I agree with the title change. Please use a better title in the future.

As for your problem, you can use an embedded GRPS module - or if you want to, you can just use an external USB modem like the one here:
http://www.ezyget.com/mall/sk/index...ge=flypage.tpl&product_id=1452&category_id=21

This way, all you have to do is hook it up to a CPU or microcontroller with USB capabilities to speak with the modem. We do this all the time where we work, but it's a huge project. Of course, since you're probably going to be hooking up to a USB printer anyway, I figure this shouldn't be much of a problem.

Also note that there is no security in the SMS network, so if anyone gets your SMS number then you'll just get a bunch of garbage going to your printer. You may want to automatically text them back with a text that requires another reply before printing their message. This would filter out the accidental texts.

Good luck.

idham85

Joined Aug 18, 2011
thank you for your attention, but the problem I need to design and produce this card without the use of another module ready. If you can help me level diagram, architecture, patterns etc. ...

I'm sorry for my english:(

BurninBri

Joined Aug 16, 2011
Sorry if I don't quite understand what you mean. Do you also need to make the printer? Or just an entire RF/cellular receiver?!

Are you willing to use any modules? Or are you looking to only use cellular chips (from Qualcomm, who will charge you a lot of money just to work with their company)? There are embedded modules very similar to the USB ones that I showed you - just do a search for them on Google. But if you're not willing to use any modules, then that means you are asking us to design an entire cellular modem for you? I think you can get that directly from Qualcomm or one of the other cellular chip vendors once you have signed their NDA's and contracts to work with them. In our company, we use modules. You can look at Sierra Wireless - some of these can even be soldered down on a board (like a chip, but yes - it's a module). However, for the software portion many of these act exactly like the USB module described above. So if you can get your prototype working with the USB module then you can move to an embedded module (which still uses USB to communicate).

Good luck.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
Has it been a week since the first post? If not I'll come back. That should still meet the "SOS" deadline!

BurninBri

Joined Aug 16, 2011
idham,

The GL865 ITSELF IS A MODULE!! This is exactly what I was talking about. This module uses a serial port (not USB, just regular serial). This is what I work with every day and could help you further for a fee. Otherwise, I think you have clearly found all the documentation to hook this up to a serial line. (The device you found can even be programmed with Python internally and could control a serial printer!!). If you want to test this out, hook it up to a computer's serial cable and start programming the device. Telit shows you how to hook this up, and otherwise they sell a demo board for you to hook it up and start programming.

Since you are already using a module to do everything you need... and you have found some great instructions on their site about how to hook it up... (Did you read all the information there? It's all there!)... I'm not sure what else you are looking for.

So, I'm sending out my own "SOS" here for anyone else to help since I think this is all the help I am able to give without further VERY SPECIFIC questions. (This means if you try to hook it up yourself and are having problems programming this, the let me know the exact problem -- AFTER you Google it!)

S... O... S...