Sort of off topic... thrift store stop after work

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
I got out of work early today and felt like stopping at a local thrift store but nearly didn't. I'm sort of glad I did stop. The first thing I picked up was an old JEC All Transistor Radio someone obviously loved to death until it finally fell apart around them. $1.99 and still in the original box which is in fantastic shape. The box that is! :)

The second thing I grabbed was one of those small 5 inch by 2 inch (guestimate) batteries rated at 12 volts and 7.2 amp hours which is sitting outside charging at this moment on my solar charger. It had a voltage of about 6 volts when I tested it after returning home. I've got it charged up to nearly 9 volts now.

The third and final thing I bought was an old APC Battery Backup Plus ES 500 for $4.99. It seems to have issues but inside is another 12 volt, 7.2 amp hour battery and I have some hope that it will still be able to be recharged. After removing that battery from the unit it registered at just under 3 volts so we'll see if it's toast or not. Anyway, I was pretty happy with the stuff I picked up for under 20 bucks today! I may take apart the APC Battery Backup for useful parts if I can't get it working properly. Besides, after a bit of research after work it seems that a lot of people say they are pretty much worthless anyway.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I'd wait and see if a good battery brings it back to life before beginning the salvage operation.

At the price paid for it, it might be a better deal to fix the APC after investigating the going rate for that model. ES 500 backups were listed anywhere from 10 to 30+ on ebay. Then there is that "radio". There is a JEC 6 transistor radio model R 963B on ebay italia for a little of 20 euros.

Good luck with your find.

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
Lead acid batteries will develop impermeable sulphate crystals on the battery plates when left in an undercharged state for awhile.
They're boat anchors after that.
That much I do know MrChips. Yet I am hopeful that the batteries will still be useful! Thanks for the good input as always my new friend.

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
I'd wait and see if a good battery brings it back to life before beginning the salvage operation.

At the price paid for it, it might be a better deal to fix the APC after investigating the going rate for that model. ES 500 backups were listed anywhere from 10 to 30+ on ebay. Then there is that "radio". There is a JEC 6 transistor radio model R 963B on ebay italia for a little of 20 euros.

Good luck with your find.
Thanks for the comment and the advice Joe! Very much appreciated!!!

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Lead acid batteries will develop impermeable sulphate crystals on the battery plates when left in an undercharged state for awhile.
True, but the equalizing charge is suppose to help drive the sulphate from the plates. Back in the day of lead acid batteries, it was common for an equalizing charge every now and then. I'd have to look up what they say about the equalizing charge on the batteries of today, although the battery university talks about it in the link below.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/equalizing_charge