Sorry I haven't been around much.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I was ill for a few weeks at a very bad time; my Dad needed help, but I couldn't be around him when I was sick.

I finally was well enough and able to go help my Dad starting last Sunday.

My Dad passed away early Wednesday morning. :(

He was trained as a mechanical engineer at Iowa State, but spent most of his career as an electrical engineer.

Dad was strictly a "participatory" sportsman; he did not enjoy watching basketball, football or baseball. He loved camping, fishing, hunting, shooting, sailing/boating, and his last hobby was flying. He bought a Cessna 150, and learned to fly it, but the FAA blocked him from obtaining a pilot's license due to a heart attack that he'd had many years ago.

At age 75, he started building a Rans Coyote II that would qualify for a Light Sport Pilot's License before the FAA had actually finalized the requirements for the license. Basically, for a Light Sport Pilot's License, you had to pass the ground school, a check ride, and have a valid driver's license.

Dad did an absolutely beautiful job on the airplane that he built. It only required very minor adjustments to put it into proper trim. It's first flight was conducted by a retired USAF Colonel who spent much of his career as a test pilot for all USAF aircraft.

Nitpicky me, I found a few things to "gig" him on.

I will miss him.

Please, no PM's on this.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
God, Wookie, I am so sorry.

My Dad passed away slightly over a year ago. There are no words, but we try anyhow. I do believe our loved ones watch over us, not continously, but frequently. I think feel him, and my Mom and bro now and then.

Stay strong man, if you have a faith lean on it. Did he have other family, grandkids, or other children?

He sounded like an interesting person to know.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Having worked with some of these grand old guys with the pioneer spirit I understand your loss.

All the best for the future

nanovate

Joined May 7, 2007
My condolences to you and your family. I currently have a close family member trying to recover from cancer. It is at times like this you realize how fragile we all are and how precious is the time spent with loved ones. You father's legacy will live on through you -- you are a "doer" not a "watcher".

High Flight
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of—wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air....
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark nor even eagle flew—
And, while with silent lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.
-John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

All my condolences to you and your family.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
My Deepest Condolances, Sarge.

As Robert Benchley said, "Drawing upon my fine command of the English language, I said nothing."

We're with you.

Eric

p.s.

My dad's been gone for 16 years now, but his influence is with me all the time. He was an engineer's engineer, a pioneer in helicopter design. I still have some of his engineering manuals with Igor Sikorsky's signature in them.

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
:( Please accept my heartfelt condolences. May God provide you strength to overcome this personal loss. May his soul rest in eternal peace.

Kind Regards,
Shahvir

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
What I would have liked to have said,has been said for me. I get flash-backs from time to time and they seem to all be from the 'The Good Times" Please accept my condolences. Bernard