Sony rear projection TV 61 inch kp-61hs10 crt sparking

aouate3

Joined Apr 17, 2011
i tested it, when i tested it, the anode sparked, i recorded it, so i will upload it to youtube so you can see, i also am wondering if its possible to replace the anode clip, i have a different style anode clip that i think 'might' work better, then again, i am 16, and my knowledge of CRT tubes only goes to basic concepts, how they work, basic wiring, deflection coil adjustment, and turning old tvs into diy oscilloscopes (they work really well too!)

aouate3

Joined Apr 17, 2011
so does anyone know if i can swap the anode clips from the random anode cable i have to the one for the kp-61hs10?

aouate3

Joined Apr 17, 2011
i replaced the anode clip, and its not sparking anymore, but now the tv is just turning off... i wonder if i reconnected all the cables properly... or do i have to change the screen pot back to its original position?

aouate3

Joined Apr 17, 2011
the light on the front of the tv blinks 4 times.. which is vertical deflection malfunction, so i guess i didnt connect a cable or, conencted it to the wrong place, i will look and see if i can figure anything out.. no sparks now, so thats a good thing... i think..

Last edited:

aouate3

Joined Apr 17, 2011
but now there isnt any video... just a black screen.. but there is audio.... need some help here... anyone know what to do?, it was working fine, but it was out of focus, so i pressed flash focus, it went through its process, it took longer then usual, and when it was done, the blue channel was out of alienment, but i could tel that the deflection coil needed to be adjusted, but before i adjusted it, i decided to turn the tv off and turn it back on... the screen was blue with white circular lines, so i turned it back off, then tried turning it back on, and now there is no picture at all, but there is sound... and the timer/standby light is just blinking non-stop

Last edited:

aouate3

Joined Apr 17, 2011
i dissconnected the HV cable from the blue tube,and also the two cables that come from the blue tube and connect to the focus block, then i turned on the tv, still no picture, but now it is giving me a error code of 5, which is video out abnormallity on C board or A board.... i will look into it now..

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Don't do too much meddling. The error codes indicate that screen is too low. I told to reduce screen to prevent sparking.
Since sparking is gone. Turn on the TV and readjust only the screen u reduced until u get a picture without sparking. If u get a picture without sparking, then u are good.

Turn it off wait for a few mins. and then turn it back on check if u get the blinking.

U need to give me time as I am on a different time zone.

I helped u since u said u had fixed it before and the input you gave is quite good on the basic knowledge but I never realized that u could be 16.
Since u worked on it pretty good, I helped along. So please don't do anything stupid.

To prevent further sparking u should get the corona dope. That area is too small and will spark as dust accumulates with in couple of months.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Video clearly indicated that u need to insulate the anode cap as it was done by the factory. I cannot say anything more to this matter.

Follow my advice as u had before.. A warning...u could get spark for a limited amount of time. It is putting stress on the flyback driver. Eventually it will blow. Then you might have no choice but to buy the FBT Assy completely.

aouate3

Joined Apr 17, 2011
Ok, i revived the set from the dead, but the green and red tubes are showing 'pincushion' how do i fix this, is it a adjustment on the tube itself (which i dont believe it is) or is it in the service menu? i have the service manual with me

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I am getting domain error now from image shack. What's wrong?
the other pictures are fine but the last one.

Can u get the picture clearly?
Any sparking?
Any more blinking codes?

Click on my nick and email me the service manual, I have to read to guide you.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Not bad for a n00b..

Follow the service guide for alignment.
Have by any chance accidentally moved the purity magnets mounted near the deflection coil.
It will be glued, from the white marking u can see if it is moved. Recheck the green gun thoroughly.

One more thing. Clear the error codes now. From this you will get fresh codes should any more occurs

aouate3

Joined Apr 17, 2011
OK, i will inspect the tube and make sure the purity magnents arnt moved out of there normal position, and yes, i am a noob, but i do good work... most of the time :D but of course, not without help :)

aouate3

Joined Apr 17, 2011
Ok, i take it the purity magnents are on the deflection coil, if so, it all looks fine, nothing knocked out of alignment or anything, at least not visibly, so i guess i will go into the service menu, right down the existing config, and adjust accordingly, i already cleared the codes, thanks, i will post the results of the adjustment