Sony rear projection TV 61 inch kp-61hs10 crt sparking

aouate3

Joined Apr 17, 2011
Ok, bad idea to test it, it sparked, and the little blub things on the board that the neck of the tube connects to light up...w

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Wonder if there is an internal short in the tube, Or the EHT voltage is too high, should be around 25KV. To measure that you will need an EHT probe for your meter & know how to use it.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
A shorted tube won't corona arc. The tube itself will light up from the inside.
If he is seeing sparks from HV anode, then it is not a serious fault.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
And if the EHT is high, the tripler will arc and all the 3 tubes will produce arcing.
Besides any over voltage and the set will shut down and will blink the error code.

It's a SONY....

aouate3

Joined Apr 17, 2011
and i just relized the text i added is extremly small im my high res pics... well they pretty much say where i saw the sparks

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hey did you see the neon bulbs a lighting up?

If yes then the EHT is way too high. U need to reduce the screen voltage.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Rotate the Screen pot on the flyback anti clock wise completely and then check for arcing.
Or may be each gun has it's own screen on the tripler....

aouate3

Joined Apr 17, 2011
the screen pot is behind a little rubber piece on the flyback, i will get a picture before i go about trying to figure out what im doing...

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Wrong..I do not see the screen wire.
The tripler must be handling the screen voltages, all I see from the FB is the HV and Focus. There are two pots, but if there is one wire coming out of the rectifier area then the screen in not handled by the FBT.
It might even be located on the C board, the CRT board.

On the other hand, I see a lot of static build up around the FBT, which is the main cause of corona arcing...U need to clean the entire thing buddy, without cleaning you are just welcoming further trouble.

Clean the FBT, Tripler and the CRT surrounding area. Without cleaning you are likely to have trouble soon.

In order to see the screen voltage level, I have to see the schematic.
Your pictures is no good since the area is very tight.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009

See the square. The 6 pots are the 3 guns focus and screen adjustments pots.
U have to find out the faulty gun screen and reduce it until the neon glow is gone.
But after the clean up.

By the way....buy corona dope, it helps a lot. since ur TV is old

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
In this instance there are 3 seperate tubes with 3 seperate EHT supplys, sugesting that this one has a fault only. This is what i use to check EHT voltage & if using a HV probe its IMPORTANT to have the earth lead from probe conected to the tube earth. (this Multimeter & probe i purchased in 1977 when i started repairing TVs, No digital meters here. & it cost a weeks wage then)

Attachments