Sony PCVA-IR8U

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I bought a Sony PCVA-IR8U at a thrift store for a couple of bucks. When I plug it into my PC, the PC seems to recognize it. My TV remote will make an LED inside the receiver blink, but that's as far as I get.

What can I do with this? Google has been no help.

deamin

Joined Mar 7, 2009
Not sure if it will be any help, but I purchased a Sony VAIO media center PC back in '05 that had that same IR Receiver. I never plugged mine in, but just came across it a drawer here.

I can tell you that the transmitter that was included is the RM-MC10. It looks like many of the buttons on the remote relate to the Media Center functionality, but since I never used mine I can't be sure...

Looks like there are lots of those remotes on Ebay for next to nothing right now.

Dave

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Thanks for the reply. So, I guess the Sony computer had some software that responded to the codes from the remote, which of course I don't have. And even though the receiver is "seeing" the remote and forwarding data to my PC, the PC doesn't respond because it doesn't have the software. Oh well, the receiver only cost me a buck or two at Goodwill. :)