Something my Dad had built for me, he's no longer with us;(

USMC Jimmy

Joined Nov 1, 2009
Hello,

I not sure if this is one of the best places to post this, but if it needs to be moved MODs, please do so.

Anyways, I just got back from my 2nd tour and before I left on the 2nd one, me and pops, he's no longer with us anymore, had built me a interface for my car, in the last move, I somehow misplaced the box I had it in.
I really wanted to comeback and enjoy our toy, but now that I can't find it.

Back to the point!!
So I know nothing about, this kind of work, but wanted to know if some kind person might he me out with this, I have worked for a few weeks on this and am getting really frustrated with this.

I still have a really long way to go on this, after he passed the bank just threw all his stuff away so I have limited DOC's and NO info on parts.

I have most of the parts figured out, but I lack a few this, KNOWLEDGE is this area.

Here's a picture of it, and what I think most of the parts are, can you help out for a min???
The picture is from when he got it back from his buddy who made it for us.
#1] resistor 2001
#2] SS S or 55 5.. Is this a diode?
#3] Diode orange, silver stripe in the middle and a black band on the end. I know this is a Zener somethings or other..
#4] National Semiconductor 39AF LM78L 05ACM
#5] 35V 10uf
#6] 35V 10uf
#7] SS S or 55 5
#8] 12F629 (E3) 1/SN 0505
#9] resistor 2001
#10] Tantalum "Cream colored", not sure if that right
#11] Tantalum "Cream colored", not sure if that right
#12] 20.000M o5
#13] resistor 2001
#14] resistor 2001

Thanks you very much!!!

Sgt Jimmy
USMC

Attachments

USMC Jimmy

Joined Nov 1, 2009
We had DIY our own PCB board, damn what a project, I don't think I can do that again blindly..lol

I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with these guys.
expresspcb.com

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Nice work. For what it's worth my condonlences, I lost my Dad a couple of years ago, words aren't enough.

The design is clean, We might be of help here. What does it do?

#4 is a voltage regulator, 5V.

#8 may be a challange, I think it may be programmable.

Your picture is excellent. Is there anything on the bottom?

USMC Jimmy

Joined Nov 1, 2009
Thanks for the reply!!

Anyways this filters out a "HEX" message from a bus system.
I'm sure the micro chip can be programmed, I just need the right PIC board, software and maybe a little knowledge about writing a code/program for it.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Is it possible that the items labeled 1,9,13,and 14 are labeled 1002 rather than 2001? If it were 1002, it is likely that they are 10K resistors.

hgmjr

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
after looking at the pic....

1. 10K resistor
  2. pnp transistor
  3. diode ??
  4. LM7805A (8pdip voltage regulator)
  5. polarized cap
  6. polarized cap
  7. pnp
  8. pic12f625 or pic12f29
  9. 10k resistor
  10. cap for crystal
  11. cap for crystal
  12. 20mhz crystal
  13. 10k resistor
  14. 10k resistor

What exactly was this used for?? Maybe I can get a better Idea on what it does if I knew what it was used for......

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
We had DIY our own PCB board, damn what a project, I don't think I can do that again blindly..lol

I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with these guys.
expresspcb.com

I order a lot of my pcbs from them, I do not have any complaints...... turn around is usually pretty quick.....

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Jimmy,
Really sorry for the loss of your Dad. I lost mine this February. I'm in the process of cleaning out the last of the stuff from his house at the moment.

Not going be back home for a couple days.

It would help to know what hex code he was trapping from the bus. Did you manage to save his computer or any notes?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Thanks for the reply!!

Anyways this filters out a "HEX" message from a bus system.
I'm sure the micro chip can be programmed, I just need the right PIC board, software and maybe a little knowledge about writing a code/program for it.

I don't see how it "traps" a "hex" message.... the way it looks it is connected to just receive a logic low signal from the "CTRL" line which is pulled high via 10K resistor (#1), this "logic" signal is used to switch pnp (#2) which is tied into pin 6 of ic (#8).... are there any other connections I am not seeing, can you post a pic of the bottom of the PCB???

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I wonder if the hex code is being received onto the board as serial bit-stream of data over the single line. It seems like overkill to use a PIC for something as simple as a logic level signal.

hgmjr

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
What does the OUTPUT wire tie to? Alpha/numeric display, LED, Buzzer, etc.......
In other words, it interfaced your car to what other device? Does it plug into the OBD port?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
On the input it has a control line, on the output side of the board I see a wire marked tuner? But it also looks like it is also connected to a pnp transistor with a 10k pullup.....:confused: I have been looking at this for a while and I still can not figure out the function of the uc???? Once it gets an input from the control line, and and input from the tuner line, then what????

A little more explanation on the circuit would really be helpful :)......

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I wonder if the hex code is being received onto the board as serial bit-stream of data over the single line. It seems like overkill to use a PIC for something as simple as a logic level signal.

hgmjr

Serial bit stream through a transistor? Could be, if the signal coming through the control line is not ttl level (5v) maybe they were using the TR as some sort of level converter..... but why is the "tuner" connected to the uC through a Transistor also?? I can't see how this controls anything......

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
There is quite a bit of information on the ODB-II signaling protocol here in the wikipedia website. It seems practical to imagine that the PIC was programmed to detect the occurrence of one or more of the HEX diagnostic codes used to report engine performance. More information would help confirm the actual code or codes that were being detected.

Sadly, without the source code for the PIC program this is furtile ground for speculation as to the nature of the algorithm used to monitor these codes as well as the actual codes to be detected.

hgmjr

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
First I would like to thank you for your service Sgt. Secondly, it saddens me that you lost your Dad, especially while you were serving. I miss mine very much. He was an Electron Head who started when electronics required sheet metal forming and making holes big enough to fit octal tube sockets and aluminum sheet was not common, so it was usually plated steel.
As far as the image of your board is concerned, I could be way off base but the Output marked "Tuner" seems self explanatory. In other words; could this be a remote channel control for a receiver? The Input is labeled CNTR which tells me that it counts pulses. A Decimal to Serial (Hex) converter comes to mind.

Unfortunately I'm not Adrian Monk, so this is all conjecture. ;)

USMC Jimmy

Joined Nov 1, 2009
I thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.
Anyway, my computer is at the shop till Monday,
I should have in less then 12 hours and post a more detail
reply about everything.

Posting this from my phone and it a sob, my poor little fat fingers... Lol

Oh, the message is sent over the Bmw ibus system.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
It helped very much then you said it was to an BMW Ibus system. But please forward every bit of information you have about this system to us. Even if you do not think it is important. As a start can you please tell us what the device the circuit is connected to is.
But take your time to get your PC back;)

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Ok. So we have now established that we are not talking about a US domestic vehicle. That will definitely be helpful in focusing further discussion.

hgmjr