Some Wildlife Pictures

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by monster_catfish, Dec 26, 2012.

1. monster_catfish

Thread Starter Active Member

Mar 17, 2011
    For a small change of pace, I thought I'd share some pictures of the local wildlife here. I used to be an avid hunter, but, as habitat gave way to farm-land here, and unrestricted hunting decimated what animals were left in the wild, my hunting these days is limited to the odd afternoon of upland wing-shooting in the grassland across the river valley from me.

Nice closeup of a bushbuck doe, grazing the edge fo my catfish pond
    [​IMG]

My modest herd of buchbuck seen here gathered for a meal of pre-soaked beans, which they get as a supplement to the daily fresh leaves of the manioc tree-crop.

[​IMG]

This picture I am lucky to have captured, for it features the ever-elusive Sitatunga swamp antelope, which is about the largest animal left in the wild, in this neck of the woods. These guys spend most of the day wading chest-deep in the swamp, ever ready to submerge completely, leaving only the tip of their nose breaking the surface, at the slightest whiff of human scent. This is a mature buck, and he was kind enough to execute a few dance steps for the camera, before loping off into the dark.
    [​IMG]

Finally, I caught this male bushbuck on film as he made his way back into the safety of thick cover after a night's feeding near the river.
    [​IMG]

That's it for now. More later, if any of y'all liked these shots.

Sinus23, nsaspook, strantor and 3 others like this.
  2. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    How about some giant fire ant mounds,if you have fire ants.

I hunt with a camera.

3. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    Nice pictures.

Are you near Accra?

4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Saw this creature today on the bicycle path. Never seen one before. I have to guess that it is an American mink.

[​IMG]