Some help required!!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by curriejohn, Mar 2, 2015.

1. curriejohn

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 17, 2015
    IMG_2552.JPG

Hi guys

Is anybody able to assist me with the questions shown in the attached photo image.

Thanks

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

The picture is not clear as the moire lines make it unreadable.

Bertus

PS is this homework?

3. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
  4. curriejohn

Feb 17, 2015
    Hi Bertus

This is part of a home study course I am currently completing to improve my qualifications to move towards changing my career. I know it may be a simple question to ask but being away from education for such along time is making it harder for me to understand things.

5. curriejohn

Feb 17, 2015
    Is this picture any better?

6. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Yes that's better, but it's still a Common Source amplifier as per post#3.

7. curriejohn

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks Dodgydave

But with respect to the first image I posted are you able to explain to me the questions that are being asked.

8. Roderick Young

Feb 22, 2015
    It's a class A amplifier.

Capacitor on the gate: to remove any DC component of the input signal, and allow the transistor (which appears to be a MOSFET) to be biased at the desired point.

Two resistors on the gate of the transistor: form a voltage divider, and set the voltage at the gate when no signal is applied.

Transistor: provides voltage gain.

Resistor on the source of the transistor: provides some negative feedback, which makes the gain of the circuit less dependent on the transistor, and also has benefits for frequency range.

Resistor on the drain of the transistor: converts current through the transistor to voltage for output.

My explanations are informal - the linked article above gives a much more rigorous treatment.

bwilliams60 likes this.
  9. curriejohn

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks Roderick

An excellent well explained reply which is going to be very helpful for me when completing my assessment.

10. Roderick Young

Feb 22, 2015
    No problem, but please be sure that you understand the concepts. If you're typing anything into your assessment that you don't personally understand, you'll only hurt yourself in the long run. Just saying.

curriejohn likes this.