Some Ferocious Looking Mountains

Discussion in 'General Science' started by Glenn Holland, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Glenn Holland

Thread Starter Member

Dec 26, 2014
    I'm sort of a geology geek and I was doing some research on mountain ranges around the world.

The first one is Mount Wilson located about 18 miles west of Las Vegas, Nevada. Although it called a mountain, it's technically known as a "Butte" or rock outcropping. 104918367.jpg Matterhorn.png The second is the Matterhorn in the Alps. It was formed through a complicated process involving separations of plates.

Both are angry looking and I suspect Mother Nature must have had a really "Bad Hair Day" when she created these mountains.

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
  3. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    I climbed Matterhorn Peak (the one in the Sierra Nevada mountains in California).
    [​IMG]

Cerro Torre has always looked "angrier" to me than the Matterhorn or Mount Wilson.
    [​IMG]

4. Glenn Holland

Thread Starter Member

Dec 26, 2014
    Interestingly, Mount Wilson in Nevada gets snowfall in the winter.

Don't try skiing on it - it's almost straight down over the jagged rocks. By the time a fall victim makes it all the way to the bottom, he'll be hamburger!!! :eek:

Mount Wilson 3.jpg

5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I had the pleasure of skiing from the other side, to Italy for lunch - through an absurd border crossing - and back to Zermatt for the night.

6. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    I did just the reverse, and it is one of the cool places I got to check off the bucket list at an early age. Thanks for reviving the memories.