Some Component Stores

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by MusicTech, Aug 12, 2008.

1. MusicTech

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Hello all, I know I am going to post this to find that someone else jsut posted the same thing so feel free to be as aggressive as possible in telling me to look harder. I looked, I didn't see anything, but I know there is probably something there.

Anyway, anyone know of an electronics store dedicated solely to components, Like those component drawers in Radioshack, except like the entire store like that. I went to NYC and couldn't find anything. I went to mouser and wanted to buy somethings, but I don't know if they're what I want based on the data sheets. I want to see them in person to get an actual picture of what they look like to make sure they are exactly what i want, and probably end up buying those parts there. By the way, I live on the Central Jersey Shore, so if anybody knows any stores like that within a 2 hours drive or in NYC that fits said description, please make me aware of them.

Much Appreciated.

2. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    If you take a sample part with numbers printed on it to the parts store.
    The clerk will tell you give me the part number.You may get lucky if you
    have the model or serial number. Don't bet on it ,I have yet to have much luck with any part stores.The big outlet have salemen that visit part
    house's. Catalogs will sell you hobby Items with numbers post with price.

P.S.-THE NUMBER ON THE PART -WILL NOT CROSS REFERENCE WITH
    MOST CATALOGS-

3. MusicTech

Apr 4, 2008
    I have never seen such a part store, I have found that out the hard way too, too bad the radioshack and mouser catalogues don't intersect.

4. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    I have one nearby called "Norvac."

I usually go to surplus houses, though. Norvac is too expensive for my liking.

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Most of these tend to be Mom and Pop operations. We have 2 here in Dallas, maybe more, but these are the ones I know about. That is Tanner's and BG Micro. BG is an inernet store, while Tanner's is that M&P I was talking about. Then there is Fry's, MicroCenter, Radio Shack...

Fry's is pretty bad. They have the parts, all over the place. It is impossible to find what you need, it is so disorganized.

6. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Living several thousand miles from you and having never set foot in the US, my suggestions are as useless as anyone's. However...

1) Is it not worth your while identifying the component spec and datasheet from mouser, then coming to the forums and checking it with some the FMs here? You may even get a better suggestion. Just a thought, although I do appreciate if you want to actually go down to the store (there is a personal touch of consumerism that the Internet just doesn't do).

2) And coming from a small island, I am amazed that people will drive 2 hours to go anywhere but the airport! To us Brits, a 1 hour drive is a long drive!

Dave

7. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Try the highway around Atlanta, Georgia (think it's 475) in the afternoon rush hour on a Friday. It's a real time dilation situation. And you will go a small distance in the space of that hour.

Worse yet, miss the 475 exit and take I-75 through Atlanta at rush hour. Words simply cannot convey the awfulness of the traffic.

8. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    The really sad part is, it's common in the US. Dallas would compete, as would more than a dozen other metroplexes. Can't speak for Fort Worth, but I'm willing to betcha it's up there too.

They keep building bigger roads, and they keep filling right up.

Mail order is definately the way to go, unless a store is close.

9. barryusa

Jun 15, 2008
    Here you can go from Houston to El Paso, drive about 14 hours and not even leave the state.:eek:

10. MusicTech

Apr 4, 2008
    well, thanks, I like Dave's idea, about showing you anthing I like on mouser, but I feel bad asking you about every thing that I think might suit my needs. I will keep those other stores in mind just in case I am ever near any of them, What's really unfortunate though is that I don't think I have any local surplus... Oh well

11. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Don't sweat it guy, just pay it forward when the time comes. Everybody has something they can contribute.

12. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Agreed.

Dave

13. kammenos

Aug 3, 2008
  14. MusicTech

Apr 4, 2008
    Wow, really? Thanks a lot, I still won't abuse the favor, don't worry.

OOOh pretty