solving RLC circuits

Nara Shikamaru

Joined Nov 24, 2007
hey everybody!!....sorry for the stupid question........Can you use Thevenin, Norton, superposition and Node analisys in RLC circuits???......if so....could you pass some examples circuits???......Thanks!!

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
hey everybody!!....sorry for the stupid question........Can you use Thevenin, Norton, superposition and Node analisys in RLC circuits???......if so....could you pass some examples circuits???......Thanks!!
The quick answer to your question is yes.

Do you have an example RLC that you are attempting to solve with any of the mentioned circuit analysis methods?

hgmjr

Nara Shikamaru

Joined Nov 24, 2007
not really, im kind of studying for real circuits solving and designing!! and in all textbooks it appears that RLC circuits just can be solved by Phasors, complex math and Laplace transform!!....

and i wanted to know if you could solve them by Thevenin, Norton, superposition or Node analysis!!!........i dont have a particular circuit!!.....i was wondering if you all have RLC Circuits solve by any of those methods!!....thanks!!

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Here is a link to the wikipedia section on RLC circuits. If you scroll down a bit you will see the application of KVL to analyze a series RLC circuit in the frequency domain.

hgmjr

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
The steps needed to fully understand a problem involving reactive components, initial conditions, or dependent sources need basic circuit theory coupled with a method to solve differential equations.

The simplest method is to learn to write your circuit in terms of the Laplace domain. Then, you apply your appropriate circuit theory to the problem and write equations. The next step, you "plug and play", as we call it, until the solution is found.

So, Laplace Circuit, circuit equation, isolate desired variable (current, voltage), inverse laplace for time domain solution.

Steve

Nara Shikamaru

Joined Nov 24, 2007
for example.....i have this circuit i got from Industrial Electronics by Timothy Millman......can the components values be calculated using Nodal Analysis, or thevenin, or supersposition???..... would it be??.....what if i assume RL as a DC motor? (has some inductance and resistance).....so technically the circuit would have RLC components....

Attachments

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Circuit design is about understanding component value consequences by writing reasonable (assumptions might be needed) equations about a particular circuit, then understanding the direct relationship of these values. In many cases, you will have to set a lot of these values to particular ratios and using your judgement to come to a conclusion.

What you are directly asking cannot be solved via normal circuit analysis tools. Whenever you have a device, such as a transistor or FET, you need to do two separate calculations. First, you need to find a DC solution, which will give rough biasing conditions for the devices. Secondly, you will need to do an AC analysis, which is crucial for understanding how your circuit will react (poles, transient response, etc).

In a lot of circumstances, FETs or transistors are simply modeled in two states if they are meant for cutoff/saturation operation. This can greatly simplify your solution..

Steve

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
for example.....i have this circuit i got from Industrial Electronics by Timothy Millman......can the components values be calculated using Nodal Analysis, or thevenin, or supersposition???..... would it be??.....what if i assume RL as a DC motor? (has some inductance and resistance).....so technically the circuit would have RLC components....
I see you have elected to cast a wider net from the RLC question mentioned in your initial post.

Scubasteve_911 is right. When you introduce components like the UJT and other similar active components you will need to replace them with a circuit model that uses conventional passive components along with dependent current sources and dependent voltages as appropriate to then make it possible to use conventional circuit analysis techniques.

hgmjr

Xolisa.X

Joined Apr 14, 2008
YES brother......Remember when you are solving complex wave you r using superposition bcz when u r calculate your impedance you use one source at a time