Solenoid with Momentary Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It may take a few moments for your "wall wart" to charge the capacitor.

However, when the capacitor is then connected across the solenoid, the current will start flowing more quickly due to the higher initial voltage.

OldSkoolEffects

Joined Nov 18, 2009
So, does this look appropriate, at least for the location and hook-up for the cap? The SOL1+/- is just the connection points for the solenoids. This circuit works perfectly well, I just want to get a bigger bump from the solenoid.

OldSkoolEffects

Joined Nov 18, 2009
Using a 50V 1000uf capacitor didn't seem to make any difference. I had the same results letting it charge a few seconds and hitting the switch and just bumping the switch. Is there any possibility of it feeding back anywhere? What value determines how fast a capacitor discharges? I'm almost at a loss here, and may need to get new solenoids, which I'd rather not do.

OldSkoolEffects

Joined Nov 18, 2009
Well, after digging back through datasheets, it turns out that this particular set of solenoids are rated as 27V, not 12V, like every other supplier advertises.

At 27V, I should get about .5 lbs of oomph, so I figure I might try 32-36V.

With that kind of voltage, should I still be looking at wall warts? I know this higher voltage range gets pricey; is there any circuitry that can boost 24V 500mA to a higher voltage?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
What is the minimum time that solenoid needs to be powered? If the resistance is 45 ohms & if you need an amp, then you need 45 V. If the load is "momentary" a lower current power supply can charge a capacitor [ bank ] , maybe up to 8.000 uF.
Boost converters are available, but not sure of upper V out for cheap ones.

Johann

Joined Nov 27, 2006
Well, after digging back through datasheets, it turns out that this particular set of solenoids are rated as 27V, not 12V, like every other supplier advertises.

At 27V, I should get about .5 lbs of oomph, so I figure I might try 32-36V.

With that kind of voltage, should I still be looking at wall warts? I know this higher voltage range gets pricey; is there any circuitry that can boost 24V 500mA to a higher voltage?
Some desktop printers like the HP used to have a separate 30V wall wart. Perhaps you could source one of these on a scrap heap somewhere?

Is the transistor turning on fully? Measure between collector and emitter when it is turned on. Should be between 0.1 and 0.2 volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.