Solenoid valve

sujinvipin

Joined Aug 18, 2011
It is an embedded controller and trying toconnect a 24v DC solenoid valve to it.
I need to know how can i control a 4 way 3 position valve by the controller. how can i switch the states?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You switch the valve by applying 24 VDC to it. The valve should come with instructions about which wires cause it to open in its different directions.

sujinvipin

Joined Aug 18, 2011
Actually i have solenoid valve and a PLC which develops a +/_ 10 v output, using which i need to supply to a solenoid valve which is of 24V. Can you tell me how can i do it?

sujinvipin

Joined Aug 18, 2011
Actually i have a PLC giving +/_ 10v using which i have supply to the solenoid valve having 24V input . How can i do that?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Use the 10 volts to drive a transistor and have the transistor deliver the 24 volts to the solenoid. Mosfet transistors do well at this because 10 volts is a good switching voltage and mosfets carry large currents very well.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
does your PLC not have a digital output of any kind? using an analog output to drive a transistor to switch a digital device is like reaching around the world to scratch your ass.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Now you're ahead of me...on the outputs, that is. I don't know enough about these things to know he was talking about an analog output. I'm going to work now. You take over.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
the whole ±10V thing is what made me thing he's talking about an analog output. maybe I misinterpreted that. But yeah, if it's a 10V digital output then transistor or mosfet would be the answer. or even a relay, depending on the power constraints and application.

OP, is this for a home project or professional job? Is this an industrial application?

sujinvipin

Joined Aug 18, 2011
The signal is via a digital output. How do i control it in three different positions, considering i have a direct 24 volts input to the solenoid valves from the digital output

its a uni project!!

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
that depends if its AC or DC; depends if you are using internal or external power supply( i.e. depends if your configuration is sinking or sourcing). These are all questions I have already asked but apparently it's too much of a challenge to answer. You still haven't given me any information on your PLC. Why must I go to the extra effort of repeatedly asking for information just to help you? these are things you should have put in post #1. With vague information from you, the best I can give is a vague answer: connect a wire from the PLC to the relay and a wire from____________________ to _____________________. theres your answer.

did you give up on the valve?