solenoid valve control using microcontroller

KAGAN09

Joined Mar 12, 2011
Hi im getting 25 solenoid valves and controlling them with a z8 microcontroller. the valves are 12v. so i need 12v and 25 amps for the 25 amps.

I'm just not exactly sure of the schematics or part numbers for the parts? Could any of you help me out?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Hi im getting 25 solenoid valves and controlling them with a z8 microcontroller. the valves are 12v.
So, does this mean that you have already chosen which valves you want to use, or are you stating that the available voltage is 12V?
so i need 12v and 25 amps for the 25 amps.
?? I have read that 5 times now and have no clue what you mean... You want a 25A 12V power supply? How do you know what the amperage requirement is?
I'm just not exactly sure of the schematics or part numbers for the parts? Could any of you help me out?

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
I'm sure he meant "So i need 12v and 25 amps for the 25 valves".

Are the valves to be turned on randomly, so potentially all of them could be on at once? Or is it possible that only one, or only a few, will be on at any time? You might get by with a smaller power supply if it's the second plan. Otherwise, 25 Amps at 12 Volts is it. That's a pretty hefty supply, but what must be must be.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I'm sure he meant "So i need 12v and 25 amps for the 25 valves".

Are the valves to be turned on randomly, so potentially all of them could be on at once? Or is it possible that only one, or only a few, will be on at any time? You might get by with a smaller power supply if it's the second plan. Otherwise, 25 Amps at 12 Volts is it. That's a pretty hefty supply, but what must be must be.
I agree with that, but it's unclear to me whether he already knows what valves he's going to use, or if the valves are one of the parts he's looking for guidance on. If he hasn't already ordered the valves, and depending what type of vavle he really needs for his application, he might be able to use valves with a different current requirement.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Well then. I don't see how it can be less than 25 Amp capacity.

He'll be using floating-point math, and the sqrt() function, for sure.

KAGAN09

Joined Mar 12, 2011
sorry for late reply. Yea im making a Waterfall display printer all 25 valves could be on at the same time. there's not enough quantity of the valve i wanna use which is a 12V with 1 amp current (because low on quantity i get i cheap) ill have 10 of these, and 15 of 12V and 350mA current valve. including the threshold current i thought 25 amps would do.

hope this made it clear.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
I don't like the idea of using 2 different kinds of valve for this project. There are sure to be different characteristics that each one has, in timing or flow rate, that'll affect the appearance of the flowing water, and that's what counts in this case. Well, go ahead and try it, maybe it's OK.

If your next question is how to control 25 valves so that they all switch simultaneously, based on control from a microcontroller, I suggest a chain of 74HC595 shift-register chips. You only need 3 outputs from the processor.