Solenoid questions

roombacurious

Joined Sep 25, 2007
I'm trying to improve an existing device which uses a motor to move a plunger up and down at high speeds. The device uses a rather simple design which mechanically converts the motor's rotation into reciprocating action. The problem is that it vibrates a great deal in the process.

I was thinking to use a solenoid to replace the motor in producing the up and down movement. I don't know much about solenoids and have the following questions:

1) The original device works between 500 and 1500 strokes/min (roughly between 10 and 30 per second). Using a timer or similar circuit I can reproduce this frequency but will the solenoid take it? Are solenoids designed to withstand such high frequencies? Will it break or burn?

2) Can solenoids produce enough force for applications beyond valve closing? To get an idea of what kind of force I'm looking for I would say it should be enough to break thick-ish glass or play pool with! :rolleyes:

3) If the spring of a solenoid is removed can the actuator be moved back and forth by reversing polarity?

Thanks for your help.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I doubt that using a solenoid will do anything but make the vibration worse. The extra mass of the solenoid core will be added to the plunger's, so it will probably be worse. The force you require can be generated by the solenoid by increasing the current in the coils, but the device will be very likely to overheat.

Could you add a counterweight to the motor shaft to balance the rotating mass? That would let the device run with almost no vibration, but it's still going to shake while impacting whatever it is that it strikes.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
It is definitely possible to use a custom solenoid for this, but will it fix the vibration as beenthere mentioned? I imagine that you could use feedback and profile the acceleration and velocity, this way you might have a bit more control over vibration.

Vibration is a reality for machinery, but it is hardly planned for via well-structuring with heavy damping materials. Perhaps isolation mounts, or using cast-iron mounts may do a better job than re-invention.

Steve

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Can you take a digital picture of the assembly and post it here to give us a clearer picture of what the existing motor arrangement looks like?

hgmjr