Solenoid Pendulum Problems

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I looked around a bit and didn't see a single photo-interrupt switch that could drive your solenoid directly. Most support an output below 100mA (usually less than 50mA) and this could drive a small relay without other circuitry, so it could be used in place of the reed switch as long as you're using the relay configuration. I'm not sure about the ratings of the auto relay, though - you may need to find one with a lower coil current requirement.

Instead of using a relay at all, an optical switch and a MOSFET transistor would easily (and cheaply) drive your solenoid. I think this is how I'd do it personally. (The reverse diode across the solenoid is still needed.)

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Something else to consider is the noise made by the relay. I once used a relay to flash some Christmas lights. The click-clack was very annoying and that project was rapidly abandoned. Would the noise be an added attraction or a distraction for your project?

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
Hi again Wayne and Alec, I am a bit overwelmed with so many ideas of doing this task. I did buy the auto relay today so tomorrow i want to build the circuit, could you kindly show me the circuit diagram you would construct from with a sort of shopping list of parts and links?

Although i do understand what most components do in circuits and the analogy of the plumbing system with inputs and outputs, something is missing. I teach art to people and i see my self in others when they cannot see what is obvious to me, this is my relationship with electronics, i did have a few electronics kits as a boy as well ;)

Thanks

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
Thank you all , especially Bernard for his circuit and the suggestion of using the auto relay from Wayneh, the pendulum now works well without overloading the reed switch.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Cool, thanks for the feedback.

Just idle curiosity: Why do you need such a large boost to swing your pendulum? With good bearings, it should take very little energy on each stroke to keep it swinging.

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
The pendulum frame is one metre high and pendulum body pretty heavy, made from brass struts and an oak and steel head. it has good bearings as well. It does take very little energy to start it swinging. the voltage has gone up to 18 though.

Attachments

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Thanks for the photo, looks interesting! :)

What is the weird pattern on the bottom plate, and what does the inlayed writing on the uprights say?

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
Hi RB

The weird pattern is veneer inlay to mimic the movement of the swing and the words are Anticipation - Ecstasy Birth - Death. It is part of a 3 piece work of Art made from oak

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
Hi IC man,

What do you mean by a free wheeling diode? Your attachment link was a bit beyond me... Sorry my knowledge of electronics is still newborn. Could you kindly show me the necesary modifications in the circuit diagram earlier in the this thread by Bernard, that i have used thus far and has worked for 5 hours without fail.

best

Derek

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Very cool. I love pendulums. My favorite was the big one at the Smithsonian, which I got to see as a kid.

I still think you could use a MUCH smaller (and quieter) solenoid.

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
There is a Foucault's Pendulum in London's Science Museum, i must visit it again.

I like the sound of the pendulum i have made, it does sound like a heart beat sort of strong but fragile.

I am making 3 objects, each measuring or counting time, the pendulum is seconds another minutes and the third an hour, i will probably need advice again when i come to them...

The current pendulum now actually runs on 24 volts at 1.4 amps any less and it stops, the solenoid is rated between from 12 to 36 volts, i am using bench supply. How would i power it for exhibition or do you know way i can reduce the power consumption? I am, however sort of reluctant to change things as it is working, but we shall see.

all the best

Derek