Solenoid MatriX!?

quant

Joined May 21, 2009
Hi all,

I need to create huge Matrices/Arrays of Solenoids(like clusters of 500 to 5000 at a time).

I have so far managed to wind a coil around an Aluminum core of <4 mm OD with an ID of 2mm. which lifts 40 grams easily with a 24V DC source and draws 2.4 Amps!!!
For winding I am using a 0.3mm wire which goes around the 5cm length of the solenoid 10 times.

1- All solenoid experts, how does the performance of the above solenoid looks to you, is it's force within ball park of what a 5cm length x 10mm OD solenoid should be(it pulls like 80 grams on a flat surface and lifts in the air 40g free and clear)?

2- I have investigated the required circuit a lot and so far the only options seems to be like the keyboard Matrice approach! Any better suggestions on that please? Note, the Solenoids need to be active only one at a time and then only for .5 second and that particular one won't be used again for at least 30 minutes, so heating won't be a problem but keeping cost to a minium will be.

I look forward to all the advice the experts can provide here.

thanks

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Aluminum is not a good material for an electromagnet core (technically, it is a solenoid, but the application appears to the that of an electromagnet). Soft iron would be superior - you might find that a section of a nail with the same diameter would make a superior electromagnet for the same current.

Frankly, using over 57 watts to pick up 40 gm is very poor. With the correct core, you should be able to do the same with much less current.

You might find the information at the link interesting - http://www.howstuffworks.com/electromagnet.htm

For good advice, we need parameters. What are these electromagnets to do? How much force must they apply. How many do you need? - there is a big difference between 500 and 5000. What will control them?

quant

Joined May 21, 2009
beenthere'

Thank you for your quick response.
I have also tried Iron cores but, the problem was that the plunger would stick to it and never enter the core?! I also used what I believe was stainless steel core and it worked similar to the AL. core.
For the plunger, I am using a 2mm bicycle wheel wire(cut to size), it is NOT stainless steel rather plated steel, is that a good candidate for the plunger?

The plunger of the solenoids must be able to pull like 80 grams of weight on a flat surface. For all intents and purposes let's just say that each device will use 1000 solenoids. Hence, the circuit to mange those solenoids?

What I have envisioned, is 20 rows with 50 columns and since only 1 Sol. will be used at a time, the Rows and The Columns corresponding to the needed Sol. will be given power as is the case with the Keyboard wiring. So what is needed, what IC's are the best candidate for such clustering that will handle the required switching? I guess, some with 10 output pins that can be clustered should do the job but what types? Then what is the best way to drive those IC,s, Micro Controllers? What types?

again, thanks for the help and advise...

quant

Joined May 21, 2009
Also, I forgot to mention, my Sol. stroke is minimum 20 mm which pulls 80 grams at that distance! I only wrap them with paper tapes and tried placing them inside steel tubes and didn't increase the force?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
From my previous post -
For good advice, we need parameters. What are these electromagnets to do? How much force must they apply? How many do you need? - there is a big difference between 500 and 5000. What will control them?
That includes shape and purpose of the solenoids.

quant

Joined May 21, 2009
From my previous post -

That includes shape and purpose of the solenoids.
Well, like I said at 10mm OD that makes it a Tubular solenoid and the purpose again as said is to pull 80 grams at a 20mm stroke!

BTW, after looking around, found the below tubular solenoid which at twice the OD puts mine well within ballpark.

http://www.deltrol-controls.com/solenoids-part-532.htm

So what is needed now, is the circuit?
There is this link, which is about 100 solenoids, is that still the best solution?

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=28140