soldering problem

Discussion in 'Wireless & RF Design' started by aj_silverthunder, Nov 10, 2009.

1. aj_silverthunder

Thread Starter Active Member

Jun 6, 2009
    guys today i was ready to make my first circuit on a general purpose board,while i was soldering ,the soldering machines tip was touching the Ic and the capacitors lead,and after some time i came to know that the IC TDA2003 had become too hot,it would burn my finger and the capacitor also ,it also became too hot,my doubt is is that TDA2003 is damaged by heat and even that capacitors!please help me guys!

2. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    what wattage soldering iron are you using?? a 25 to 30 watt pencil tip soldering iron would have worked, and when soldering components try not to leave the tip on the component leads for more than 2 to 3 seconds.... You can also check out the devices data sheet to see how much heat it can handle to be exposed to, normally these are designed to withstand quite a bit of heat when wave soldering....

Check out my youtube video on soldering SMD components >> can be helpfull in soldering other components...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyRw51EnuQ0

3. aj_silverthunder

Jun 6, 2009
    but the IC TDA2003 was very very hot ,at that time if i holded it for 10 seconds i would get a burn on m finger!do u think the IC is burned up and is it normal for capacitor to get hot while soldering

4. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    Most components are designed to be able to survive soldering heat, but that assumes you know the correct soldering techniques. Your risk is that your circuit won't work because the components might have gotten too hot. There's no way anyone can tell you whether that's happened or not with certainty. If you're new to soldering, definitely track down some training material and do some practicing. It's actually very easy to do reliably, but it's best if an experienced person can show you the techniques. As BMorse said, an experienced person doing soldering will usually have the soldering iron in contact with a component's leads for 1-3 seconds (the length of time depends on the amount of metal that needs to be heated), no more.

5. aj_silverthunder

Jun 6, 2009
    thank u very much guys! guys and i have to make a PCb but i dont have suitable materals,can i use this method:
    1)take a insulated board.
    2)first with the help of solder,make the tracks on the board same as the schematic like a printed circuit board and then
    3)solder the electronic components to it !

6. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    No, because solder won't stick to an uncoated PC board.

7. aj_silverthunder

Jun 6, 2009
    what do u mean by coated circuit board and uncoated circuit board,what are the difference between them and is coated circuit board available in shops!

8. bluebrakes

Oct 17, 2009
    as another tip. You can use needle nose pliers or crocodile clips on the component leads to help conduct heat away. As mentioned before, component manufacturer's are aware the device needs to be subjected to heat for circuit production. Ideallly, you shouldn't be using the iron on the component for no more than 3 seconds as previously stated.

9. aj_silverthunder

Jun 6, 2009
    i am very thankful for u r help guys!