soldering problem.. plz help!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bobparihar, Sep 1, 2014.

1. bobparihar

Thread Starter Member

Jul 31, 2014
    i was soldering a circuit PCB but i accidentally pulled a soldering base which is connected to some pin of processor. by pushing soldering iron on it
    now i cant solder any wire to that pin bcz there is no metallic base at that pin
    could somehow the metallic base can be fixed so that i could solder it with some wire

2. MrCarlos

Jan 2, 2010
    Hello bobparihar

It's hard to guess: what is. How is it, does it look like. A picture would help a lot.
    Take a picture of the damaged part and upload.

otherwise we are just guessing.

bobparihar likes this.
  3. bobparihar

Thread Starter Member

Jul 31, 2014
    this is the image of that pcb.. check out the 12th pin there is the problem.. i cant solder any wire there coz.. i pulled the base..is there any way to fix this problem

• vga.jpg
      vga.jpg
      File size:
      922 KB
      Views:
  4. Theagentxero

Aug 26, 2014
    Ok, first off... That Soldering Iron is WAY too hot.
    Turn it down to about 450-500 F or about 200 degrees Celsius.

It appears that the yellow wire below 12 was pushed up through the joint and was soldered in place there.

So, what happened was you pushed that wire trough the joint with your iron.

You need to heat the solder joint back up and press the wire through from underneath the board, when you do that, the wire will bring most the solder with it, youll need to add more to the joint.

bobparihar likes this.
  5. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    1. you should degrease the board with lighter fuel + remove all loose tin pieces.

2. there are two methods: scratch the thin PCB track until you get bare copper, or solder a thin wire to the processor pin. Guessing how the board looks like, you'd have trouble with that...

did you use flux on the board? if you cause a bridge on the processor pins, you need to flux it, and use a desoldering pump.

bobparihar likes this.
  6. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Scratch away the green solder mask that covers the trace and solder a piece of wire-wrap wire (30 AWG). You only need to remove about 1mm of solder mask and the same length of insulation off that end of the wire.

bobparihar likes this.
  7. bobparihar

Thread Starter Member

Jul 31, 2014

the wire (yellow ) below that 12th pin is supposed to be connect with the 12th pin.. but as you see there is no metallic base anymore at 12th.. so how can i solder it again..
    could anyone show me some video for doing that.. i am pretty novice player for soldering circuits

8. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    The wiring point pad is gone - the only thing you can do is clean off the flux and debris so you can see the track leading to where it was.

The only thing you can do now is carefully scrape off the solder resist varnish from the track so you can see some bare copper to solder to.

The big problem is; you won't be able to solder the original wire to that narrow track - you're going to have to bodge it!

If you have a scrap PC card with a line of gold contact "fingers" on the edge, and a pair of tin-shears, you can cut out a single contact and superglue it on where the pad is gone. It looks like a light duty signal line, so you should be OK stripping a single strand from some flex to patch from the track to the bodge pad that you glued on.

Oh! - and turn the iron down a bit - what's left of that track is your last best hope, and the glue under the bodge won't take much heat either.

bobparihar likes this.
  9. bobparihar

Thread Starter Member

Jul 31, 2014
    iam a novice player for soldering stuff..plz share some video so that i can understand

10. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Scrounge some scrap boards from a local factory/small PC shop and practice soldering on them.

Its doubtful whether you'll learn anything practical from watching someone else do it.