Soldering over conformal coating

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Pak713, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Pak713

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 24, 2013
    I recently was trying to replace my lights on my radio in my truck. I have already upgraded all my interior lights in my truck on all switches, heater control, and speedometer with leds. The faceplate circuit board of my stock radio in my truck has a shiny like coating over the whole circuit board on the back. I didn't really know at the time what it was so I proceeded with soldering in the new leds. When I got all of them replaced some of the lights worked and some didn't. Also some just flickered. This is the hardest part of all the led swaps I've done in my truck. I also had learned that the lights on the radio circuit board were in series circuit with 2 series/parallel circuit with polarities colliding. That's what I read on it. So my questions are. Is the shiny surface conformal coating? Is it ok to solder over it or should it be removed in the spots I plan to solder? If it should have been removed, would it cause the problems I mentioned because the coating wasn't removed? Another problem I encountered was not only flickering, some not working, was that the lights all came on and stayed on even with truck and lights off. Would the coating cause these problems? Thanks in advance.

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Shiny? I've seen clear shiny conformal coating, also matt finish.

No matter, if there is any covering over the metal you want to solder to then yeah, remove it by lightly scraping it off with the side of a knife (exacto) or such.

You need metal to solder.