Soldering motor windings (in the middle of them)?

Chris Carr

Joined May 24, 2011
I am currently rewiring an induction motor that was 3 phases to single phase (w/ split start).

My question is, will there be any durability issues if I join two pieces of 22 gauge copper wire (end to end) in the middle of a winding with solder? Its the electrical kind, tin alloy i believe. Will the solder not stand up to the heat of the motor? Will it mess up the next turns of windings going over it?

I appreciate any help.
(Please don't just suggest buying longer spools of wire.)

- Chris

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I've never done what you're suggesting, but if you do it remember to put a piece of heat shrink on the splice to insulate it from everything, including the core.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Chris, are you aware that there are VFD's available to run 3Ph motors on 1Ph? They make them in 120VAC and 240VAC.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
If you make the splice a good mechanical connection before soldering and place the splice at the end of the motor windings. Meaning don't have it in the slots where you place the wires but at the end where the wires curve around to enter another slot.

The forces that turn the rotor also act on all the wiring. Plan on using shellac or clear epoxy resin to 'set' the coils in a solid, unmoveable mass. Doing otherwise will result in the destruction of the tedious, labor intensive, hand winding job, of many many hours, due to magnetic forces vibrating the coils until they come loose and impact the moving parts.

Don't ask me how I know these things :)

Chris Carr

Joined May 24, 2011
Would it be durable enough if I solder, add mechanical strength and heat shrink it?
Also don't i have to "bake" it for several hours if i use shellac?

Chris Carr

Joined May 24, 2011
I do have a single phase motor for the application i have but its slower than the 3 phase one I am trying to rewire.

The one that is 3 phase has 2 poles
The single phase has 4

I can't change pulley sizes because the pulleys were designed special for my machine to fit it.
The only option other than rewiring is a gearbox for the other motor but i have no clue where to find those or if they will cost a lot.