Soldering Iron Question ??

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dr.killjoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Dr.killjoy

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2013
    How do you guys feel about a switch mode soldering iron????

The reason I am asking because
    But many years ago I picked up one of these
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sad to say but it died and only ran for a short time ... But I opened it up and what a nightmare ... The PCB was a complete hack job at best...

2. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
  3. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    Please pardon the " Compu-yell " :D I HAVE BEEN SAYING WHAT NERDEGUTTAS' LINK SPELLS OUT FOR YEARS !!! :eek:

Regardless of who makes the item, chip design engineers can put anything they want into those things, and your innocent cell-phone turns into a venue to listen in on you, or track you whether "E-911" is turned on or not... and how does one go about detecting the snoops...??? Not to mention, that "they" can find you with one of the literal millions of random "surveillance" cameras extant everywhere !!!

I don't want to come across as a " Paranoid Pete " nonetheless, I find it hard to trust these 'miracle makers'

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Nothing wrong with that. A few watts of energy not wasted by a line powered transformer seems completely harmless.

5. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Seems like a good idea - but how robust is it?!

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    How robust is a switching supply? Thousands of them are working properly at this moment.

Of course, there are ways to do it poorly. I guess it depends on who built it.