Soldering header socket on copper side of single sided board?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I would like ti make a break out board to make troubleshooting some of my PIC projects a bit easier.

To do this, I will need to solder a header socket and / or pin connector on the copper side of a single sided board.

I thought I would put in a temporary spacer between the board and the socket then solder between the top of the socket and the board. Is there an easier way to do this?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Look around a bit and you can find surface mount sockets. I could make more of a suggestion, but you don't give number of pins or pitch.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
If you make your holes larger than normal, you can solder them from the back side.

This is a blind solder and is quite iffy.

The surface-mount header would be the way to go.

You can also use 90deg headers and surface solder them so they come off the board perpendicular.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I fail to see why you have to solder the header on the copper side of the board?

Just solder the header on the other side of the board, and make up a cable with the connector on the other side of the cable.

gootee

Joined Apr 24, 2007
Yeah, definitely re-design it if you can. But if you "have to" do it that way, and the traces are accessible next to the header, drill an extra hole for each pin, where you can get to it. Then solder a wire to each pin and bring its other end up through the corresponding extra hole. You might have to glue the header in place...

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Yeah, definitely re-design it if you can. But if you "have to" do it that way, and the traces are accessible next to the header, drill an extra hole for each pin, where you can get to it. Then solder a wire to each pin and bring its other end up through the corresponding extra hole. You might have to glue the header in place...
Ahhh! I just ordered from Mouser too! I knew I should have posted here first. :)

Anyway I think I got it figured out.

I have one of these.

I plan to replace those sips with header sockets. I am then going to build a breakout board with a pair of header pins mounted upside down (long end going through the board from the top). I am hoping that I have enough pin left over to make a connection to the header socket.

The header pins will just be used as an easy place to clip on a logic analyzer or logic probe.

I will then add header sockets so I can make my connections.

If that does not work then I will probably go with Sarge's idea and use a cable but that would take two boards.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Isn't the more accepted convention to put the pins on the board and the socket on the cable? You see almost no cables with a pin end, always socket ends.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Isn't the more accepted convention to put the pins on the board and the socket on the cable? You see almost no cables with a pin end, always socket ends.
There are header pins and header sockets. Both of which are soldered to a PCB. A typical application would be to connect an LCD display to a PCB, without the use of a cable.