Soldering Broken USB SD Drive

Justin Waters

Joined Jul 8, 2014
So a friend walked in front of their desktop which their SD Card was plugged into to. The USB Connection was completely severed. I'm worried because one of the connections is ripped further into the board.

I'm about to solder the connector back on but I want to get a second opinion on if this is still repairable.

Justin Waters

Joined Jul 8, 2014
I'm trying to recover the pictures that are on it.

I hope it is possible!

I think takao is right about stuff missing on the top part!

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
There are mini USB breakout board, you can solder wires to the holes on the breakout PCB.

on ebay, I have some here actually.

For the resistor, you can try for instance 4.7 K Ohm, it can not do much damage.

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
Is that a flash drive or an SD card reader? If it's a card reader, why can't you access the pictures using another reader?

I was able to successfully resolder a usb connector onto a flash drive once. The connector on my busted flash drive was just bent, not fully broken off, so I only had to reattach two of the pins. It worked fine, though.

So I'd say go for it. What do you have to lose?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
at the very least it looks like the pad above R6 is missing.. But one should easily be able to see where it was connected to and use a jumper wire to replace the missing pad and connect to where it needs to go.

Its just 4 pins.. no need to do anything with the obround holes.. They are just for the shield.. Just repair it..pull of the data then throw it in the trash.