Soldering 1.6mm Cubes

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Metalmann, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Metalmann

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 8, 2012
    I bought 10 of these, and just wondering if any of you guys had tried hand soldering them?:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...1virtualkey57280000virtualkey941-XQDAWT00HDE1

The main problem, is going to be a way to hang on to them upside down, to get them in place to solder. Maybe use 30 ga, wire?
    As of yet, I haven't had much luck in grabbing them.
    The first one, broke into two pieces just holding with tweezers.

OK, zero luck.:(
    I do not want to reflow them, if it's possible to do them this way.?

2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    An over sized copper pad that provides room for a soldering iron to make substantial contact would work, along with your choice of soldering paste. I wouldn't try it with standard rosin core solder wire. Just place and heat.

If your board has any plated through holes for connection with a heat sinking area on the back you could use the 30 gauge wire in a tie down arrangement in order to place more than one LED at a time before soldering.

Hope you have lots of patience since you are reluctant to use the recommended reflow methods suggested in the data sheet.

Metalmann likes this.
  3. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    apply solder paste, stick them in it and either reflow or hot air gun them..

Metalmann likes this.
  4. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    You say "hang on to them upside down". Sounds intriguing.

I hope you have a good plan for cooling these LEDs. They will produce a lot of heat which has to be removed from a tiny package. The data sheet just says "You have to keep them cool" but doesn't suggest how.

Metalmann likes this.
  5. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    I didn't know what he meant by "upside down" either..
    They should just be set onto the board and soldered as if they were lighting up the ceiling.

And yes heatsinking/cooling is VERY important. These will require substantial copper area/thermal vias or even metal clad PCB's,etc... to keep them at a decent operating temp.

Metalmann likes this.
  6. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    I used "circuit- stik" copper tape spaced 1 mm, and pre tinned to mount some SM FETs. Tape provides a heat sink.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    Metalmann likes this.
  7. Metalmann

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 8, 2012

What I meant was, to be able to hold them upside down, (In a vise/fixture/jig arrangement).....so I would have access to the contacts-pads while soldering. The first one broke into 2 pcs., while trying to hold them with tweezers!:eek::D
    The more I think about the heat, maybe that is not such a good idea.

8. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Mebby some tape would hold them more securely without any damage.

See if the bottom tabs will cover a pair of pads on some plated perf board. Stick a thin layer of solder on the pads. Then place the LED and reflow the solder on your stove, assuming you don't have a temperature controlled hot p[late like where we first used this technique.

I did this one on a stove top with a rather complex SMD board. Mebby I got lucky but it worked.

Metalmann likes this.