Soldering 0.8mm FPC ribbon cable

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by osx-addict, Jul 10, 2012.

1. osx-addict

Thread Starter Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Yes, I realize that FPC ribbon cable is not meant to be soldered.. and I did read the one FPC soldering thread here.. However, I've got an LCD panel that takes a 13-position/pin 0.8mm FPC connector and NOBODY apparently makes connectors for them that are readily available (Molex part#52557-1370 and Harwin part#F08-2101346, #F08-2001346) are the only makers from what I can tell..

In speaking with the vendor I can get these panels from, they solder directly onto the PCB and skip the connector. While that may be OK for a mfg plant, I'm not sure if that is a viable option for a one-off sort of project.. I'll admit that these displays pricing is very attractive but not so sure I like the idea of soldering these cables as part of any assembly..

Anyone got any other suggestions/comments? Should I run for the hills yet?? :rolleyes:

2. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    If the flat connector has tiny holes, fairly easy.
    You can even use a TQFP44 IC adapter, and solder wires to the two outer tracks.

If you make a PCB you need traces longer than TQFP44 chip.

Get some soldering flux + a broad tip and then simply try.
    But recommend to flip a DMM test lead tip over the pins, the solder joints
    are not always successful.

3. osx-addict

Thread Starter Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Thanks.. I'll checkout your tips.. In the meantime I found a cool article on the use of Kapton tape that might be handy for doing these..