Solder Weller Tip bad after one use

msklar

Joined Apr 9, 2011
Hi: New to soldering.
Have new Weller 35W "professional" iron with tip and separate new Weller tip. The conical ST-7 tiny tip stopped "working" after a few hours today (first use of the tip), although I wet-sponged and tinned during the soldering time. Very thin lead-free solder takes minutes to melt and rolls off the tip. The screwdriver tip which came with the iron works fine.
Question: Is this tip done for? Or could non-acid flux revive it?
Queston: Might this be something I caused?

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
What kind of solder? It shouldn't make a difference, but there is more than one kind out there. Was it acid core (always bad for electronics, but good for plumbing)?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
The temperature is way too high for that kinda tiny tips.
The tip will be overheated and the tin coating will disappear after that solder won't stick to the tip.

Tiny tips are used with eutectic solder for SMD components and light soldering.

You should use the tip and temperature according to ur soldering needs.

Overheated tip should be tinned at low temperatures. I think. at least this is what I do

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I had the same problem in the first use of my two or three soldering irons. The tip was just to "dirty" for the solder to attach to it, no matter if it melted or not.
I carefully melted almost a meter of solder on the tip, applying and wiping the tip in a wet sponge, until all the dirt was gone and the solder could form a uniform coating around the tip.
At one time I had to use a utility knife to carefully scrape the dirt from the tip, before the solder could stick to it.
I lost two soldering irons twice, after forgetting them powered on for several hours. But I think that is to be expected.

If you can't restore it, try changing the tip and see if the problem persists.
At any rate, 35W are a bit much for a small tip. It can ruin your board pads.