Solder Tin

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Iodem_Asakura, May 16, 2005.

1. Iodem_Asakura

Thread Starter Senior Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Tomorrow i'm going to buy Tin to weld. I have every time bought the first the give me.
    But now i want to make a better decision. So i'm consulting you to give me some advices.

What kind of Tin do you suggest me to buy?

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Hi,

I still use tin/lead solder. I get 63/37% eutectic (lowest melting point) with an active flux core. I usually get Kester brand, but what's more important is the small size. Get solder about .025 inches in diameter - I think that is about .7 mm. It is easier to work with than thicker solder.

Lead based solder is supposed to be a potential health hazard. I don't worry about it. The new lead-free solder has too high a melting point, and could easily harm electronics with the extra heat.

3. Firestorm

Jan 24, 2005
    i always heard you were supposed to use lead free solder for electrical devices. Never understood why but I'm sure there is a reason(will have to look it up). As for welding copper pipes and stuff, I don't think it really matters a great deal.

-fire