solder pot selection help needed

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by zwo, May 4, 2010.

1. zwo

Thread Starter New Member

May 4, 2010
    Hello everyone, I will be assembling several small pcbs (approx. 1.5 in. x1.5 in.) and thought of using a solder pot to wave solder these throughole assemblies. I saw the solder pots at MCM Electronics for 30.00 dollars US, which is a good price. The solder pots are available in 150 watts size or 400 watts size. W:)ould anyone know which would be best for my application. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I thank you in advance.
    Best Regards Zwo

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  3. zwo

May 4, 2010
    HI, the way to use a solder pot for wave soldering is similar to that used by an automatic wave soldering machine. Basically, you spray flux on your pcb then you slide it onto the molten solder in the nearly overflowing solder pot,then clean the pcb. This method was used at a company I used to work for many years ago, and provided very good results. Best Regards

4. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Then what advice are you asking for?

If you have already done it, what do you need to know?

Did you just want us to know where we can buy one?

5. zwo

May 4, 2010
    hi, I asked a question about which solder pot wattage was best thinking maybe someone might have done it also, I did not make any statement that could be considered a publicity plug for the solder pot, if you would have read the first post I am sure you would understand the question. I explained how to use the solder pot to wave solder so that other members could use this method.

6. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    I did read the first post, friend.

The wattage isn't going to matter, except for how fast your pot will heat up and how quickly you can pass the board.

So, If you are doing one board at a time, and are just getting started, get the 150w.
    If you can affort it, get the 400w.

Just be sure to have a temperature control.

You can use either, thats where my question came into play.

Was your question "For speed of production"?
    The higher wattage units will be able to keep temperature more even. And that is the key to pot soldering. Good flux and correct temperature solder.

Check this out: (GREAT price)
    http://www.all-spec.com/products/P7500.html?utm_source=amazonshopping&utm_medium=feed

[ed]
    Here is some info for first time POTTERS. Good info on checking temperature and dealing with dross
    http://www.sxlist.com/techref/solderpots.htm
    [/ed]

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  7. zwo

May 4, 2010
    Thank you for your help and kindness, it is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards Zwo