Solar with generator problem

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by SolarFun, Jul 13, 2014.

1. SolarFun

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    I have a solar panel with controller and inverter and a couple of 6 volt batteries powering lights in my shed/shop. To run my large equipment, I use a generator. I wire these two sources through a 3-way switch so that I don't try to use both at once. While hooking up a new inverter I noticed that, with the generator running, I got 50 volts AC into my inverter. Apparently, the 3-way switch didn't isolate power from my generator. Does this seem strange to anyone else?

2. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Sounds like the switch isn't wired properly.

3. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    try a light bulb on the wireing to the inverter, sometimes, circuits that are off have voltage on them from aqjacent circuits from induction, very low current tho, any load at all and it goes away.

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    +1
    A modern meter isn't enough load to pull down the induced voltage that develops from wires running alongside each other. Attach the smallest light bulb you can find (or a resistor >10kΩ), and I bet it disappears. If not, then you've got a project.

5. SolarFun

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Thanks, all. I checked amps on that circuit and got nothing but still worried about the voltage. I'll wire in that resister.

Larry