Solar with generator problem

SolarFun

Joined Oct 16, 2009
I have a solar panel with controller and inverter and a couple of 6 volt batteries powering lights in my shed/shop. To run my large equipment, I use a generator. I wire these two sources through a 3-way switch so that I don't try to use both at once. While hooking up a new inverter I noticed that, with the generator running, I got 50 volts AC into my inverter. Apparently, the 3-way switch didn't isolate power from my generator. Does this seem strange to anyone else?

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
try a light bulb on the wireing to the inverter, sometimes, circuits that are off have voltage on them from aqjacent circuits from induction, very low current tho, any load at all and it goes away.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
+1
A modern meter isn't enough load to pull down the induced voltage that develops from wires running alongside each other. Attach the smallest light bulb you can find (or a resistor >10kΩ), and I bet it disappears. If not, then you've got a project.

SolarFun

Joined Oct 16, 2009
Thanks, all. I checked amps on that circuit and got nothing but still worried about the voltage. I'll wire in that resister.

Larry