solar tracking using LM339

greenJames

Joined Apr 24, 2013
OK I've solved to problem but It now raises a question.

what is the difference between +12v and +v on a circuit

If I've drawn a circuit with a +v what voltage should I be using when the circuit had +6 .. 15v

I don't understand

James

greenJames

Joined Apr 24, 2013
OK well today I started to build my high bridge circuit (on my second try) as the first attempt didn't work but now I have a question or two to ask

First
is there a right and a wrong way to wire up a ldr

also when wire up a bd140/139 if the arrow is pointing out on the diagram is that pin 2 (c)

James

greenJames

Joined Apr 24, 2013
If I post a image of what I've done so far would some one please check it before I proceed ?? and a copy of the circuit diagram

James

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
The BD139 E & C legs are reversed. The one with the "arrow" should be emitter. And it also seems that both transistor have to be rotated 180 degrees. When the marking on the transistor is facing you. The "Base" should be on the left.

Allen

greenJames

Joined Apr 24, 2013
Thank you Allen I under stand it now.

Regardless which way the arrows are facing on a drawing it doesn't change the emitter just the function of the transistor from a PNP to NPN

as the attachment show

James

Attachments

greenJames

Joined Apr 24, 2013
Ok I've made my High Bridge circuit and low and behold it's not working

What is my next step

rip out and start again
fault find

if it's fault finding where do I start ??

James

greenJames

Joined Apr 24, 2013
Evening all
Well after the High bridge controller failed I went back to the LM339 Motor controller with a difference. After trying to build it on a small bread board only one with 80 pin I think which didn't help me much.

I would get about six or seven components on the board and get all confused well I bought a bigger one where it was bigger I still got lost every now and again. yesterday I ordered a circuit board so I thought I'd better get it working so I've worked on the circuit for about 3 to 4 hrs over the last two days.

I'm now a proud owner of a working circuit or a nearly full working circuit.

I now that is a contradiction but it is true.

As it was suggested in post #2 of this post http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=84229to change the LED parts and replace with LDR'S well I did and they don't work. I'm not sure why they don't work but I did notice when I add my first battery the motor ran clockwise I then disconnected the battery. I connected the second battery and the motor ran anticlockwise. so I connected both battery's but only one motion worked and didn't stop and run the other way the LDR's didn't act as a switch.

I found out that I had to disconnect both battery's and then connect a battery to start the motor again.

So I do have a question will it work with LED'S wired in to the circuit or do I have a fault some where ?? what will the LED'S do that the LDR'S didn't

James

rsfoto

Joined May 14, 2013
Hi,

I have read with much interest this solare tracking system thread. I read somewhere that a LED produces in full Sun light a voltage of 1.7 volts.

How high is the produced current ?

Thanks

greenJames

Joined Apr 24, 2013
Rainer you are correct I even made the circuit for the led's this morning. I can confirm that 4 Leds does produce 1.7v so after finding this out I replaced the LDR'S with LED'S

and wait for it..................it sill didn't work so I added a 3v to the circuit as it apeairs that adding a voltage stabilizes the motor and stops moment.

well that still didn't work so now I'm going to wait for the circuit board to arrive from the USA and then build it from there.

James