solar recharge on electric car

Status
Not open for further replies.

cam366

Joined Jun 21, 2014
If I have an electric car that gets 80 miles on a full charge,can I expand that ?I thought I put solar panels on roof,connected to inverter that converts to ac,then in the morning when I disconnect from the house, before I leave,I connect the solar panels,to the same receptacle that I disconnected fom house.When I drive off,it would start charging as I am driving,thus giving me more range.It would also charge when I stop at a remote location.Is this possible.thanks dave

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
that will only extend the range a little, there isnt enough acreage on the car to recharge the batteries quickly. solar car races use extremely light cars specially made for minimum wieght and wind resistance.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I doubt the solar could even start the inverter/charger circuit.

Solar direct to batteries might help a small amount.

Do the math (solar watts or AH) compared to battery power.

cam366

Joined Jun 21, 2014
if it could give yoou only ten miles,it might just make your round trip possible,a thought,thanks for your input dave

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
If I have an electric car that gets 80 miles on a full charge,can I expand that ?I thought I put solar panels on roof,connected to inverter that converts to ac,then in the morning when I disconnect from the house, before I leave,I connect the solar panels,to the same receptacle that I disconnected fom house.When I drive off,it would start charging as I am driving,thus giving me more range.It would also charge when I stop at a remote location.Is this possible.thanks dave
Why incur conversion losses boosting the solar to line voltage, only for the car to convert it back down again to suit the battery!

Just get a bank of cells with enough surfeit for a net charge current and a diode to prevent back leakage when the sun goes in.

Any addition to usual charging you get when the sun shines is a bonus.

NorthGuy

Joined Jun 28, 2014
Assuming you manage 300W panel. It'll give you 1kW in 4 hours - perhaps 2% of your total charge. Looses because of bad airodynamics will definitlely be more than this.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Why incur conversion losses boosting the solar to line voltage, only for the car to convert it back down again to suit the battery!

Just get a bank of cells with enough surfeit for a net charge current and a diode to prevent back leakage when the sun goes in.

Any addition to usual charging you get when the sun shines is a bonus.
Because that would potentially void any warrenty.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The owners of All About Circuits has elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed. I am bringing this thread to the other moderators attention for discussion, so the door is not firmly closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ . Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.