Solar PWM Charging Mosfet Selection

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by sonar_abhi, Apr 15, 2016.

1. sonar_abhi

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Hello Guys.

I am making a Solar Charge Controller with PWM. For PWM, I need to connect the MOSFET to the high side so as to control the current going into the battery from the panel.

If I connect an N channel MOSFET, that would need a charge pump to increase the gate voltage above the Vdd.
    But if I use a P channel MOSFET, that would not be necessity, since I only need to turn off the gate supply for the MOSFET to conduct and vice versa.

Some of the examples on the net have used N channel with a charge pump and I really dont understand why they have not used a P channel MOSFET instead.

What would be a better selection in terms of efficiency and power dissipation.

Thanks
    AS

2. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Your observation are valid. I would go with a P-channel MOSFET.

[​IMG]

The N-Channel MOSFET in the circuit above can be replaced with a diode, but at slightly lower efficiency.

sonar_abhi likes this.
  3. sonar_abhi

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Hi DC,

Thanks for the reply. Ideally, I would want the drop to be "0", but putting a N Mosfet instead of the diode, will again require a gate drive circuitry, won't it?

Also can you please share the buck converter calculations?

Regards,
    AS

4. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Yes, the N-channel would best be driven with a separate driver and a waveform that assures that the conduction of the two MOSFETs don't overlap.

Here is an excellent explanation of a buck converter along with the formulas (link below).
    www.ti.com/lit/an/slva477b/slva477b.pdf

5. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    @DickCappels @sonar_abhi

Dick, I think Sonar is talking about a non-inductor based simple PWM charge controller, not a power converter.

Sonar, "Charge Controllers" may be cheap and easy to build but they are not efficient. Dick is talking about a power converter, which is very efficient compared to a charge controller.

What is your application?

DickCappels likes this.
  6. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    What is the V/I of Solar panel?
    What are the V/I/R of Load?
    What kind of the battery and V/I?