Solar powered Dragon Fly

garybuska

Joined Aug 12, 2014
I recently purchased a multi colored dragon fly for my flower bed
It somehow got water in it and destroyed the chip that was in it.
The circuit consisted of a Four pin chip a diode and a small capacitor and of course a LED that has multi colors
This LED has only two legs, and one 1.2 volt rechargeable battery.
I know that most led,s need close to 3 volts in order to light but this one seems to need more current. I tried to put this led in a similar circuit using the same kind of chip the 1.2 volt battery will not make it change colors. The circuit did not have the diode and capacitor.
I figure the diode is a blocking diode and the capacitor is being used to hold a charge
Does any one have a circuit diagram it is similar to the circuit that uses a Y808 chip and similar to the one that was posted here using a different chip.
I also know that a data sheet can not be found for these chips and they seem to come from JAPAN
I have seen three different chips that all look alike. The biggest problem I have is which pin is pin 1
I am trying to recreate the circuit if possible.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Google...joule thief for powering an LED with a source below its Vf.
Also the 2 lead RGB LEDs have a small micro inside of the LED itself that dictates how it changes colors and you cannot change that.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The circuit consisted of a Four pin chip a diode and a small capacitor and of course a LED that has multi colors
No inductor? There's usually an inductor as part of the joule-thief circuit. They usually look like a green resistor - a small cylinder with colored bands on it. The 4-pin IC handles the on-off function and runs the oscillator.

garybuska

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Google...joule thief for powering an LED with a source below its Vf.
Also the 2 lead RGB LEDs have a small micro inside of the LED itself that dictates how it changes colors and you cannot change that.
Thanks for the reply I actually made a joule thief that works great. But I was hoping to use one of the other circuits and modifying it but with out knowing which pin is pin one this makes it hard as I have no way of knowing if the chip is turned the same way in a different circuit, and do not feel comfortable using the wording on the chip as a means of alignment. Kid of like shooting in the dark
I am aware of the chip in the LED if i use two 1.5 volt batteries the light will change colors but in the circuit I have it stays red and does not change which tells me something is missing. I am thinking the capacitor is the difference here

garybuska

Joined Aug 12, 2014
No inductor? There's usually an inductor as part of the joule-thief circuit. They usually look like a green resistor - a small cylinder with colored bands on it. The 4-pin IC handles the on-off function and runs the oscillator.
You are 100% correct I forgot about that my mistake

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Sometimes without the capacitor the circuit keeps getting reset and starting over on the same color. You could try adding the cap across the led.

garybuska

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Hard to say without seeing your circuit, but try 10Ufd.
Thanks every one for the replies I give the 10uf cap a try and see what happens. But I still wish I could tell which pin is pin 1. By not knowing there are two ways you could wire this I am not sure what might happen to the chip if I chose pin 4 for pin 1. Since +vcc goes on one end and negative on the other end that makes it easy to get it wrong. It is like a transistor usually the middle leg is the base but that is not always the case and if you do not get it right you can destroy the transistor in some cases. That is what bothers me the most I would hate to get it wrong and destroy a good chip.
the only thin I have to go on is the writing on the chip hoping that if I turn the chip the same way that the other one is turned it is correct. But that is like playing Russian roulette.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I finally found the post that has a picture and a schematic of the circuit I want to modify
http://www.savagecircuits.com/showthread.php?96-Solar-LED
Nah, Simon sez don't do that. You want a circuit that will boost the 1.5V from the battery to whatever (3V or so) the LED needs. That will take a ANA618, which is one of the 4-lead devices that can do this (and is available in low & single quantities off EBay).

I worked this out 3 years back when I first saw those elegant devices, even bought a bunch last year in an "opps got distracted" never to happen attempt to try this myself. I have a thread here that once contained the schematic but seems the link went stale and I've since replaced my PC. It's simple enough, somewhere I have the spec sheet of those devices now with the suggested schematic.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
This is similar. Showed up in several of my solar lights.
Do note that device required a CDS photo resistor to detect night. The most recent devices just sense the solar cell voltage to do the same function (and save another tricky to mount part).